Mar 21 2012

I Miss Comments!

Category: MediaEyeliah @ 8:20 pm

This blog doesn’t get as many comments as it used to.  It makes me sad, not pathetic and desperate sad but just a little sad.  I wanted to ask you the readers, since there are still hundreds of you on here every day but so few of you comment….

What motivates you to comment?

10 Responses to “I Miss Comments!”

1. Brian says:

I also noticed there are fewer comments … don’t have an explanation!

2. Marta says:

Hi, I follow you on my reader but don’t comment often, just laziness from my part I guess. A lot of times people who have blogs only comment if they get a comment back from the person they’re leaving comments or if they feel the need to say something. Don’t feel discouraged, still, people will read your stuff and enjoy it even if they don’t comment.

3. WendyB says:

I’ve noticed the same. I think Twitter and Facebook have siphoned off a lot of interaction!
    WendyB´s last blog post ..Shopping My Closet, in a Way

4. Julie B says:

I read a LOT of blogs every day and often I’m on my iPod and it’s just too much trouble to type out a comment. Sometimes I will comment if a blogger asks a direct question or writes about something I can relate to. Mostly I think lurkers just feel they don’t have anything interesting or clever to say. But if you have hundreds of readers who keep coming back, that’s great! That must mean they like what you’re writing !

5. Diana says:

I’ve been seeing fewer comments on my blog lately. That being said, I read a TON of blogs but tend to comment on only maybe 25% of posts I read. Having a question at the end helps – it gives the commenter something to say without feeling like a creeper or writing the same generic comment over and over again.
    Diana´s last blog post ..Bento Box Saturday: 3-24-12

I comment much less than I used to, mostly just because I don’t have the time to read as many blogs as I did before. I’m more likely to leave a comment if there is a conversation taking place in the comment box, you know, people exchanging their opinions on something that makes me think. I’ve noticed that that’s how my own posts attract comments, too. I rarely get a lot of comments if I’m posting just an outfit picture or something, but I get lots more if I’ve written about a thought-provoking topic. That has a lot to do with the fact that my readership has changed quite a bit recently. My readership went down since I started writing critically about buying a lot of new stuff. The “nice outfit!”-type-commentators are mostly gone, but luckily I’ve got some new readers who think along the same lines, so there is more actual conversation in my comment box now.

On a related note, I feel like there’s this phenomenon where leaving a comment has become a tool to advertise one’s own site, even more than before. I get those every once in a while, where someone leaves a comment and it’s obvious from the content that they didn’t even read my post. Some time ago I wrote a post where I talked about Tilda Swinton, and a host of a bigger style-related blog left a comment saying “Hi Tilda, great blog you have” etc. Clearly she didn’t even read my post. She went on to ask if she could provide material for my blog with advertising links, and if she had taken just a minute to browse my blog, she’d know that I don’t advertise. So annoying!
    The Waves´s last blog post ..What women can learn from menswear, or Adventures in menswear, part 3

7. Wicked Halo says:

Yes I’ve noticed the same, I guess there’s such a social network overload right now people just don’t take the time to comment
    Wicked Halo´s last blog post ..Garden of Delights

8. alison says:

Interesting post! I almost never get comments on my blog lately, and I must admit, I almost never write comments on other blogs. I used to be kind of a keener, really enthusiastic about the interactions, but now I kind of feel like I’m overwhelmed. Maybe it’s quantity over quality – there are so many hundred of blogs out there to look at, but it’s just that: I look at them, sometimes read a little, but rarely engage. It’s too bad, I guess, but that extra two minutes that it takes seems too much sometimes!

I try to keep up with all the bloggers who I consider my friends, all the bloggers who leave comments on my blog, and all the bloggers who post awesome things that I feel I need to tell are awesome.

Sometimes all three overlap, but sometimes there are just too many blogs and too little time!
    Lyddiegal´s last blog post ..Neon + Neutral

10. Byhillary says:

Lazy. People hate clicking through. More blogs to read. When you scroll through dozens and dozens of blogs sometimes it’s hard to keep up.
    Also I think it’s a very get what you give thing. How many comments do you make? People see a comment from you and keeps you in their mind… Know what I mean?