Feb 09 2012

9 Days Gluten Free

Category: LifeEyeliah @ 11:34 pm

I have completed nine days completely gluten free.  It has been very challenging, especially at breakfast.  I thought quinoa would make a good morning staple, but I just can’t stomach it first thing in the morning, maybe it will get easier as my taste buds adjust.  I also made hash browns with eggs, it just that it takes about 45 minutes to make.  I can have oats, the problem there is oats are definitely cross contaminated with gluten but since I am not allergic to gluten I let this one slide.  I had poutine sans gravy, just fries with cheese curds and Montreal smoked meat.  Not a healthy choice but it was delicious.  I am craving pizza the most as I walk by many $2 a slice spots in my neighborhood that fan the pizza smells out to the sidewalk.  I used to make a pita pizza at least once a week *sigh*.

The good news is I feel more energetic and risotto does not contain wheat.

6 Responses to “9 Days Gluten Free”

1. Brian says:

Good for you !!! – I’ll have some pizza this weekend for you!

Good for you, indeed! I don’t think I could go gluten free unless I had to, but I am currently considering going processed sugar free for an extended period of time. It’s amazing how quickly your body gets used to (and addicted to) the crap we eat; I’m so over sugar-crashes it is not even funny…
    The Waves´s last blog post ..Waiting to suit up

3. wardrobe experience says:

i don’t really understand why going gluten free without having an allergy. i have lactose intolerance… and sometimes I’d love to live without this daily challenge!
    it makes you feel healthier… pretty cool… good for you! 🙂
    wardrobe experience´s last blog post ..Office Girl … Heavy Wool

4. Eyeliah says:

It is more about over eating of breads and pastas when it is more of a filler food. Oats, potato, rice all have more substance and then I eat less. After a couple of weeks though realizing it doesn’t help my allergies I am thinking I can go back, just making sure I stick to small doses.

5. Velma says:

I have celiac disease, so I am an old hand at GF. Be aware that restaurant risotto often does include gluten–they use flour to cut the thickening time, instead of simmering down the liquid. I was disappointed to find out that a very nice Italian restaurant in our town ruins their risotto for me by using flour. Boo! So must always ask . . .

The amount of wheat in “regular” oats can be substantial–up to 15%!–and it does not need to be listed as an ingredient on the label, since the flour is part of the preparation (to avoid sticking on cutting blades) rather than an intended part of the food itself. Certified GF oats are easy to find, thankfully, and cook up pretty much like regular ones.

6. ElleC says:

Just found your blog. I recently went gluten free as well, and I am amazed at how much better I feel. I have fallen off the wagon a few times and my energy level just plummets and I feel like crap. The thing I find hardest about eating this way is the lack of fast food. There is almost nothing to eat that is fast. Other than that, I really don’t have a problem with it. Unless I smell home made bread, that is. 😎