Aug 22 2011

Life Enhancing Procedures, The Pros and Cons

Category: LifeEyeliah @ 4:35 pm

There are a handful of big ticket procedures I would really like to have done to enhance my life. The reasons range from not having to find my glasses as I roll out of bed in the morning, to feeling confident in my appearance, to erasing an old mistake…..

The list below.

Porcelain Veneers

My two front teeth are streaked.  I’ve asked dentists about getting them whitened, but turns out the problem is due to antibiotic use in my childhood when my teeth were still growing in.  Veneers are the only solution.  It wasn’t so bad ten years ago but as time goes on the discoloration becomes more and more prominent and I’d like to take care of it before it gets worse.

Pros; I will look better which will be good for my self esteem.

Cons; It is expensive, a possibility it will look fake or will have to be redone in future.

Cost: $2000

Eye Surgery

I’ve worn glasses for 8 years, now that I teach yoga they get in my way when I work which is making this more of a ‘want’ than ever before.

Pros; No more glasses means it will be easier to do my job, swim, shave my legs in the shower, get up in the morning etc etc and I won’t have to wear itchy contacts EVER again.

Cons; Possible complications for example people with dry eyes may have to constantly use eye drops for the rest of their days.  Long term effects aren’t certain, how will surgery now affect my eyes after 40 years?

Cost: $3000

Tattoo Removal

So I got a tattoo a month after I turned 18…… but it wasn’t done very well  never like it as a result.  It’s on my ankle and now that I have a job where it’s usually visible I want it gone.

Pros; I’d have a pretty tattoo free ankle.

Cons; painful! Total cost is unknown as multiple sessions are required, procedures might not completely remove tattoo.

Cost: $1000+

Laser Hair Removal

Think of the time that would be saved each day!

Pros; The convenience of less shaving, plucking and waxing (okay, I’ve never waxed).

Cons;  Seems completely frivolous.

Cost: $1000+

I’d really like to cross at least one of these OFF my to do list.

What do you want to ‘have done’?

9 Responses to “Life Enhancing Procedures, The Pros and Cons”

1. Marta says:

I want a brighter smile and remove a few corns from my feet, ugly stuff. I had Lasik surgery a few years ago and I am very pleased. I couldn’t see well from far away and didn’t want to wear glasses or contacts.

2. Wicked Halo says:

I’ve actually had laser hair removal in my armpits and bikini line and it was worth it I have to say. Also the prices were much cheaper which made it easier. Like to get my legs done too but that’s still a bit too expensive unfortunately.

3. Caboguy says:

– I think you have listed the procedures in the order which you consider ‘first to least’ (did you?)
    – I’d say to do your eyes & your teeth which seem to be what you want done most … the tattoo is not too bad and the laser hair removal can wait.

4. Denise says:

I would like to lose 35 pounds…by the weekend if possible…
    mom

5. Kate & Zena says:

I would like Lasik.

I actually need 4-6 teeth removed (2 of them are wisdom) and 6 root canals (there’s no want, that’s a need.) My teeth are a bit of a mess from my second round of braces because my dentist didn’t check to see if traditional braces would be okay for me. It turns out I have weak enamel and by the end of my two years, most of my teeth had cavities and most of them broke! I’ve been repairing them for a few years now. We’re at the point we’re doing permanent changes now (i.e. root canals and crowns! Um, expensive!) I would love to get implants because that would solve everything permanently, but for my whole mouth it comes to the tune of $20-40,000 (USD.) If I had your mouth, I’d be happy, stains be damned!

6. Eli says:

I think your smile may be the best and first thing you can “splurge” on, I had a similar procedure done a year ago on some of my teeth and seriously have not smiled more confidently in my whole life. Some of the other things have alternatives, contact lenses vs surgery, hair removal vs waxing. Is spending all the money really worth the convenience or peace of mind? If so, then do it!

7. chelsea says:

I’ve had laser hair removal procedures done and they didn’t work at all. I only had the minimum because they were a little pricey, but I thought they would at least kind of work. What a waste of money it was. I still have to bleach and pluck.
    As for what I would want done… I can’t think of anything. Maybe if I had to wear glasses it would probably be a different story. As it is, I like me. Though, I guess I would like a tattoo at some point. Have you thought about getting your tattoo altered rather than removed?

8. Kathy Henderson says:

I wore contacts for 31 years and hated having to change to glasses after menopause. Received a coupon at the State Fair (I know-weird) for lasik and took the plunge and wish I had done it sooner. I do have to wear reading glasses and use eye drops, but it was still worth it. I can wear cool sunglasses again. Upon turning 60-yikes-this year, I was given the choice of Botox or teeth whitening for a birthday present. I actually opted for the teeth whitening. At least wrinkles don’t hurt.

9. Style Symmetry » Two Front Teeth says: