Jul 28 2011

How Do I Get The Neighbors To Turn Down Their Music?

Category: How To,LifeEyeliah @ 4:00 pm

It’s been happening since I moved in here July 1st, around 2 in the afternoon Beyonce, Usher and Kelly Clarkson start bouncing off my living room walls.  My neighbor has her music and bass turned up, again.  I hate conflicts and so far I have done nothing.  Today, after appropriately dealing with a jaywalker I almost hit with my bike “it’s my right to walk anywhere I want” I was feeling ready to say something to her.

I marched myself right over to her door and knocked loudly, and then knocked again, and then knocked using the door knocker.  She  didn’t come to the door but turned her music down a smidge and then turned it right back up a minute later.

An hour and a half later and I can still here the music “you can pay my bills…” and feel like a useless chicken.  Not wanting to leave a passive agressive note or call the landlords I’m really not sure what to do.

Here is my possible note so far;
“I tried knocking three times, I can hear your music in my apartment and it is uncomfortably loud. I would appreciate if you could turn it down, especially the bass. I work odd hours and am often home during the day.

I’m debating to leave that or kicking her door for a knock she can’t ignore, but of course still being polite with my choice of words.  I’m about to knock one more time, wish me luck.

How do you deal with noisy neighbors?

15 Responses to “How Do I Get The Neighbors To Turn Down Their Music?”

1. Kate & Zena says:

Unfortunately, as someone who has had LOTS of noisy neighbors (lots), the best thing you can do is talk to your landlord, especially if it’s written in your lease to keep music and noise at a level that does not disturb other tenants’ peace (this is usually written in every lease because it is usually part of the law in every place, at least here in the state. It’s like a “keep the peace” law or whatever.)

If you try to solve that one on your own, I guarantee you a war between you and your neighbor will begin (it’s happened EVERY SINGLE TIME with us and we are extremely nice.) Call your landlord, explain to him/her in detail about the music and that while you don’t like conflicts, you’ve had enough. It’s impacting your ability to sleep at night, work, blah blah blah blah blah. You have to call your landlord EVERY TIME your neighbor does this so your landlord can keep track. Landlords don’t want noisy tenants; they want quiet ones (which is probably why we’ve gone through so many. We don’t take crap.) If the music is blasting past “quiet time” hours (every neighborhood has them in the US. I’m not sure about Canada), you call the police. Quiet time hours are designed so people, especially children, get sleep; if other people live in your building and she’s blasting music during those hours, you’re doing other people than yourself a favor.

Am I a bit harsh? Most likely. HOWEVER, I’ve lived in my duplex for 11 years and know what living with awful neighbors since we’ve gone through a lot of them (8…I think. I’ve lost count how many we’ve had.)

I hope the problem gets resolved soon!

2. Wicked Halo says:

Yeah, tough one, but I’d have to go with Kate & Zena, just complain to your landlord about it, your neighbors are clearly aware of their wrongdoing as evidenced when you went there but they keep doing it anyhow so they probably will just ignore you or be rude to you. That or try some over the top vengeance movie worthy tactic ;)

3. Caboguy says:

- involve the landlord … make a recording of the music, keep a log of when the noise plays, when you have gone to her door, etc. Speak with other people on the floor and give a ‘group’ complaint to management. Good Luck!!

4. marta says:

That’s awful! Once I had neighbors like that, they were so inconsiderate. The apt was rented to grown up roommates and they were the worse. From Fridays to Sunday night they had loud music. Once I was going to call the police on them, but I prayed to God to make them leave because I like living there (and I still live there) and luckily (for me) they got involved in something with the law and had to leave the apt.
    I suggest you give her the note or confront her politely in person. She doesn’t live alone and needs to understand that. If after that she doesn’t stop, talk to the landlord, the police, somebody. Good luck and may she go away.

5. Cammila says:

I concur with Kate & Zena. The kind of entitled people who are capable of putting their music on that loud in the first place will NOT RESPOND to reason or compassion. Abandon all embarrassment and start calling your landlord EVERY time it happens. Good luck!

6. teeny says:

I agree with the others, don’t be nice, don’t be involved personally at all. Contact your landlord. If a person is that inconsiderate to blast their music like that, then it’s unlikely they’ll be pleasant to you.

7. Eyeliah says:

Thanks for the replies so far all! I think though, I should have mentioned that the walls here seem pretty thin. It may not even be all THAT loud (yes it’s loud) but the walls add to the issue!

8. Kionon says:

This is one of those things where you need to be careful. It does sound like your neighbor is ignoring you, and in that case, go to the the landlord.

I was once on the other side of this issue, and I came out the next morning to a nasty note on my front door. Now, I wasn’t aware I was being that loud (I myself cannot stand noisy neighbors), but from my understanding this individual made no attempt to let me know, so the note was uncool. I actually ended up telling the landlord myself, because I thought it was pretty uncool of her to respond that way. I ended up simply switching the room around, and put the entertainment center on the opposing wall (the one not shared with her apartment), but didn’t really alter my volume level. I never heard from her again.

9. Kate & Zena says:

@Eyeliah Thin walls or not (our walls are thin too. We hear our current neighbors having arguments in their mater bedroom from our BATHROOM which is a few walls over, okay? I think all apartments are built with thin walls to torture the tenants), bring it to your landlord. I know a note is a great idea and everything, but it doesn’t solve anything 99.9% of the time. Some people will ever go louder just to be mean (been there too.) Some people, if you ask them nicely to turn it down, will go down for a tiny bit (say, ten minutes) then blast it again. The landlord is the most efficient and non-headache-y way to go. He/She is the ultimate authority with the apartments; let them deal with it. You stay out of it aside from picking up the phone and saying, “Hi, Mr./Mrs./Miss _______, this is (your name) and I’d like to talk to you about my neighbor at (say apartment name if you don’t live in a duplex like me.) Enter complaint and explain. If you could talk to them that would be great. Thank you.”

If you get your landlord’s voice machine (and if they don’t have a voice mail/machine, you better be double checking your landlord, lady), you leave a message starting with your name followed by saying you have a complaint that you feel violates YOUR lease, when your available to talk and your phone number.

10. Caboguy says:

- all very good advice and the concensus is to involve the landlord – you are like most people and do not enjoy confrontations until really provoked so the landlord is the best way to tackle this problem.

11. Pawel says:

Really not nice. It looks like they don’t care about your feelings. The question is what the landlord can do? In my country that wouldn’t be good way. Instead, when the noise starts, you quickly call the police and ask to intervene. They come for the first time to warn the troublemaker. If after their farewell he turns up the volume again, you call them second time and that involves a fine. Here it works.

12. Style Symmetry » How I Got The Neighbors To Turn Down The Music says:

[...] has been a week since my post How Do I Get The Neighbors To Turn Down Their Music?, thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions!  I did end up sliding my polite note under the [...]

13. Denise says:

Alan confronted a neighbor once…But only after he banged on our wall whilst you were having a birthday party and had a bunch of girls running up and down the stairs….well after that Alan through a fit as we had been listening to “Black Velvet” by that canadian chick for weeks pounding through our walls….when Alan went there…….are you kidding me we have been listening to Black Velvet over and over again and you’re knocking…it never happened again… So sometimes it works…but i think that was unusual…I say call the landlord…

14. Style Symmetry » I Met The Noisy Neighbor says:

[...] Posts How Do I Get The Neighbors To Turn Down Their Music? How I Got The Neighbors To Turn Down The [...]

15. Style Symmetry » Zzzz says: