Jun 17 2011

I Love You Vancouver

Category: Life,MediaEyeliah @ 12:27 pm

There was a riot two nights ago in my fair city of Vancouver.
100,000 people were downtown to watch Game 7 of the Stanley Cup, but not everyone was there for the game.  Trucks, smart cars and police cars were flipped, some set on fire.  Business windows were smashed, stores were looted.  Many people were injured.  Though these events are really quite upsetting  the lasting memory for me will not be the small group of rioters but the thousands of Vancouverites who yesterday assisted in the clean up.  I was personally thanked by the City Manager who herself had been there for 24 hours already.

All photos below are from yesterday.

I love you Vancouver.

9 Responses to “I Love You Vancouver”

1. jesse.anne.o says:

That is very sad. Things like this suck. I’m glad you had a good community to help rebuild what was lost.
    jesse.anne.o´s last blog post ..See my baskets Let me show you

It is funny what the blogging community does to you; I actually thought of you when I watched the last minutes of the game, and then again when I heard about the riots. I’ve never been to Vancouver but every time I hear it mentioned I think of you. 🙂 It is awesome that Vancouver has such a great community feel and that so many people got together to clean the place up.
    The Waves´s last blog post ..Finland bye-bye – Back in the USA

3. Caboguy says:

well said Hailey & well done… I am very proud of you & your co-helpers!

4. teeny says:

What the heck happened? Awful!

I read a few articles about the riot, the whole thing seemed so absurd and unnecessary. Glad there are still plenty of sensible people willing to clean up the mess though.
    Lyddiegal´s last blog post ..Something like it

6. eli says:

This is so scary! It reminds me of why I hate sports. When I used to live in LA, people would go NUTS when the Lakers would win or lose! Same type of stuff you saw. I hate it.
    eli´s last blog post ..Wandering

7. Sharon Fielding says:

Gosh, this does look so so scary

8. Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys says:

I love Vancouver too, but it’s naive to think that “Vancouverites” had nothing to do with this. I’m sure a lot of people were there to clean up… but there were sure loads of them jumping on cars and looting shops too.

9. Christina says:

A small scale riot broke out some people were shot with rubber bullets some were tear-gassed..In the intervening years Vancouver became the most expensive city in North America. This year the Canucks were picked to win the whole thing right from the outset…Game 5 which I attended for 675 CAD was what people call a nail biter. Within a half hour there were something like 70 000 people on the streets.