May 17 2011

Reverse Culture Shock

Category: TravelEyeliah @ 3:58 pm

I’ve been back home for a couple days now and I am still adjusting.  The grocery store is expensive, homeless people seem to be everywhere and I feel the need for a winter coat and hat whenever I go outdoors.  I realize that Vancouver hasn’t changed, I have.

In Greece my breakfast, lunch, dinner, multiple raki shots etc cost less than 15 euros a day and lodging at 10 euros is miles cheaper than any Vancouver condo.  Don’t even get me talking about the cost of alcohol in Canada or my legal requirements to wear a bicycle helmet.

There are of course many good things about being home like my friends, the beach, teaching yoga for money, clean clothes and a comfy bed.  Though I would still rather be in Plakias collecting tiny seashells at One Rock and making daisy chains for my new friends.

Do you have trouble returning home after travelling?

One Rock Beach

Yvonne, Florian & Zoey in daisies

12 Responses to “Reverse Culture Shock”

1. Caboguy says:

- from what countries are your 3 friends? – they look like great travel partners!

2. mom says:

In a word…YES….Traveling home is always a difficult one for me. I literally go into a two week funk, although coming home while summer is still going strong, makes it feel less suckie. You have years and years of travel to experience my love, each time its harder to come home. I’m worried now we may lose you again (Soon) now that you have had an amazing ..and sounds like life changing adventure. :-)
    Love you, Mommy

Oh, absolutely. I haven’t traveled extensively in a while, but I do remember back in the day how hard it was to adjust to “normal” life, and also how my family and friends were almost scared to see me (what they thought was) a changed woman. People seemed different to me, everyday live didn’t seem quite as meaningful or urgent. I think that’s a part of the process. It is obvious that you have had a wonderful time abroad, one of those journeys that might change the way you view the world and your role in it. Just try to embrace the differences, even the negative aspects of “home”. Those realizations are the main crux of why we travel. They help us view our lives differently, and to eventually make changes if they need to be made. :)

4. marta says:

It’s normal to feel that way and then sooner than later you’ll get back to regular life. Atleast you can always remember the great experiences you had out there :).

5. wardrobe experience says:

marta is right… looks like you had a fabulous time… :)

6. Annie Spandex says:

Aww, the little shells and daisy chains! I love collecting shells. It’s my favorite part about going to the beach. I’d love to go to Greece one day.

Oh hey, heads up, your Comment Luv says it needs to be updated.

7. eli says:

Could you have stayed longer? :)

there is always something bittersweet about the return home. sure, you have your own comfortable bed, your dog, and your own bathroom, but you don’t have the view, or the excitement that comes from turning a corner and finding yourself in a place you’ve never, ever been before.

9. chelsea says:

Magical! The seashells, the daisy chains, all magical!
    Yes. I have trouble getting used to home after traveling. I used to revel in it. I was such a homebody, wanting to be wear I felt safest. Now I sort of dread it. I crave adventure and different things, but sometimes feel that homebody pull in me. It is so weird.

10. Clare says:

Oh my gosh, I ALWAYS suffer from reverse culture shock when I come back from a long trip. Sometimes “home” is hard to handle. :)

11. Eyeliah says:

Thanks for all your thoughts on this, I am so glad to hear I am not the only one who prefers to roam.

12. WendyB says:

I always feel I need a vacation to recover from being sad vacation is over.