Jun 15 2010

They Try To Kick It Their Feet Fall Asleep

Category: My OutfitsEyeliah @ 8:20 am

Wow, you all sure know how to bring up a girls self esteem!   Thanks for all your comments lately (particularly on the last reggae dancing post).   To flash back to the shy person I was in high school, wait lets go back further to my first junior high dance; it’s Grade 7 and I’m 12 years old.  I still remember I wore my moms red pencil skirt and a white loose fitting blouse that I tucked in and white flats.  Of course I walked in to find everyone else was dressed casually and knew how to dance but I did not.  For the evening I was uncomfortable, self conscious and hiding out along the walls.  I don’t even think I danced once! 🙁  Upon being picked up at the end of the night I was asked if I had fun, I probably said yes but the thought running through my head was “are you kidding me???”.

To dance well all you need is the confidence to not care what people think and just let loose.  I am thankful that when I go out now I am not that shy girl, on the second weekend dancing me and a friend were the first on the dance floor!  On Wednesday we are dancing and it may even be a stay home party, make our own playlist and literally cut a rug (since my living room is carpeted). 😉

Do you dance?  Where and to what music?

I was on the phone planning a meet up to watch the band METRIC but was running out of time to take an outfit photo too, lol. I actually went twice on the weekend to see them play in Stanley Park, this is what I wore Saturday.

Thrifted Banana Cardigan. Batik Butterfly Dress, Ebay. Navy Moccasins, Winners.

*Combat Baby, Metric*

10 Responses to “They Try To Kick It Their Feet Fall Asleep”

1. Eli says:

ooh pretty green dress!

2. Jessica says:

Beautiful dress!

I love being the first one on the dance floor. When I was in Holland, my friend and I hopped on risers to dance at around 10 p.m. – no one else in the entire bar/club joined the dance floor until they were sufficiently drunk at 1 a.m.

(Be sure to drop by and enter to win a Wendy Mink Jewelry necklace – retail value: $175!)

3. Amie says:

Hehe I love the multitasking! And your dress is really lovely.

Metric is cool, you are so lucky you got to see them twice!
    I was lucky – in seventh grade I met a girl who’d just moved to my town from the west coast, and she had no reservations about just dancing, however you pleased, as crazy or as badly as you wanted. I followed her lead, and always had a good time – even the times when she had to physically drag me to dance, once we were there, it was fun.

The few times I do go out dancing these days, it’s with her. The last time I was brave enough to request a song, I asked for some fat boy slim, which the dj never played.

5. renr says:

I’m merely repeating everyone above but that dress really is lovely!

I don’t dance, and the only times I did was when I was very young or when my friend dragged me into clubs a few years ago. My dance style is what you’d call vibrating on the spot though XDD

6. Syed says:

Absolutely loving the look of that dress. I don’t dance very often, but when I do I pretty much just focus on who I’m dancing with and ignore everyone else…otherwise I tend to be a touch too shy.

7. jocelyne says:

I hope things are getting better for you! I was sad when you left that comment! You sure look great, thats a good start! 🙂

8. Katie says:

Letting loose and having fun without worrying about what people are thinking is one of my most important philosophies! With dancing and also with clothing choices. Rock on, lady ;~)

I dance in my living room to Patti Smith’s Gloria. There is usually lots of spinning around and flailing of arms.
    I too remember a dance much like the one you described. Except that I in my red top and long black skirt was under dressed. Everyone treated our little winter dance like a formal in long beaded gowns or tiny hot colored mini dresses. My mum wouldn’t shell out the cash for a formal dress. Thank goodness. I think I only went into the room where they were actually dancing once. The rest of the time I was in the rec room talking or hiding in the bathroom, trying to keep my strapless bra from falling down.

10. CAMERON says:

Medicamentspot.com International Legal RX Medications. Special Internet Prices (up to 40% off average US price). NO PRIOR PRESCRIPTION REQUIRED!…