Apr 19 2010

How Old Do You Dress?

Category: My OutfitsEyeliah @ 7:09 pm

Another reason for this style change is my age, I am 28 years old (gasps! lol). Now I know that I am still ‘young’ and ‘vibrant’ and blah blah blah but by the time I am 30 I do not want to be dressing like a kid anymore so the sooner I start this transition the better. I would put my current style at an age of 24 so really this is a growing up process. When I moved out to Vancouver three and a half years ago I finally felt like I could dress however I wanted and believe me I have! I’ve had more fun getting dressed in my recent history than I ever had before, people here are just so open and accepting it is ridiculous and I will always be thankful for that.   I also work in a fun office that has been open to my style choices so that has made it easy too. As I get older I would like to present a slightly more professional image on my working days and again a slightly more grown up image on my days off.

How Old Do You Dress?

Oh and this outfit is an example of something that’s feeling too young :-(

Thrifted Teal Sweater. Floral Skirt, Free from Swap. AA Socks. Espadrilles, Ebay.

17 Responses to “How Old Do You Dress?”

1. Elissa of Spandexpony says:

Haha I think it’s cute! I would have never thought to put socks with espadrilles. I’d say that I think I’m finally getting a handle on dressing my age… even though I love adorable “cute” things, it’s definitely starting to feel discordant. Yikes.

2. Sarah says:

Been following your blog awhile and definitely don’t think you dress too young. I can understand maybe wanting to look a little more professional, but by no means do you currently look like you’re dressing like a kid or anything. You look fun and unique. Current outfit looks age appropriate to me, only thing I’d possibly change is the footwear (but then again I’m not on the current socks and shoes bandwagon that the fashion world is on right now)

3. Eli says:

I agree with the above comment in dressing your age vs dressing more professional. You can dress professional for work, and always wear what you want when you’re not working (depending on your job). I think you can always keep what you have in your wardrobe but style it different. this might feel more age appropriate, if thats what you’re looking for.

Like the other commentators, I don’t think you dress too young at all, and that wanting to dress more professional doesn’t necessarily mean you need to dress “older”, if that makes sense. But I do agree that there comes a time when you just feel you need to define your style more, to sort of figure out where you stand with it.

I am 32 and certainly don’t dress my age in the classical sense, like you know I wear ankle socks with sandals, and polka-dots and stuff like that even though I am sure there are people out there who think that’s childish. But I do think of things like proportions and colour a lot more these days, and that probably has something to do with a certain maturing process, and trying to really figure out what works for me at this stage of my life.

5. jesse.anne.o says:

I understand what you mean. I’m 35 and I’ve been steering away from the sort of kitsch and camp I used to love – I still wear stuff that’s short since I’m short and it makes my legs look longer but I think it’s slightly offset because it’s primarily plain neutrals. More focus on fit and structure (albeit a work in progress). I think I also see it as more “classic” – although kitsch isn’t really a “trend” per se. It is a sort of “visual clutter” I don’t want any longer, if that makes sense. I am aiming for things a little more classic, structured and that carry their own look without hitting one over the head? I sometimes wonder how my tattoos will play into that over time.

I do sometimes fall into the whole skinny pants, t-shirt, cardigan and ponytail at work which is a little too young/casual for the office. I need to get better about that.

Anyway, I like how you were dressing before because it was fun and interesting but I probably identify with the more recent looks and I think they convey a classiness?

6. elle s'ennuie says:

Oh you’re still a young’un! Now me, -I’m- old, 30 and 10 days, hah! 😛
    I can relate though. But I think it’s more important to dress you-appropriate than age- appropriate. Sure, age is part of that ‘you’, but only one part.
    Your outfit in this post is fun and whimsical, with fresh spring-like colours, and doesn’t seem too young to me at all!

7. Franca says:

I feel like my style has definitely got more grown up over the last 2-3 years (I’m gonna be 29 in a couple of months). Mainly I think it’s because I moved to a different building at work, and my new office is more dressy so I am too. I used to wear trainers at work all the time in my old post!

I like to make sure at weekends to wear things that are fun and silly and colourful, as an antidote to the weekend, but even so, I think I am naturally gravitating towards more grown up styles.

8. Retro Chick says:

I think that’s a cute outfit!

Personally I’ve never bothered in the slightest about dressing my age, but I think generally I have a fairly classic style, so maybe I didn’t need to?!

I think it’s more important to be realistic about body shape and what suits you than it is to worry about your age.

9. Jessica says:

I agree with other commenters, I don’t think you dress too young. The best part about being in your 20s is dressing however you damn well please, right? 😉

I’m 26 (27 next month – eep!), but I think I dress like I’m in my early 30s. I should take advantage of these few precious years left and dress in something completely inappropriate for a 30-something!

10. Pansy says:

Of course I don’t mind, and thank you for featuring me! (Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I haven’t had much internet time since returning from my trip!)

I don’t think you dress too young at all! I also think style tends to grow up with you– I remember wondering several years ago when I was going to look “grown up,” because I used to wear t-shirts and jeans and converse all the time. And then I started dressing up! It’s funny how that happens.

11. wardrobe experience says:

dressing my age?! – my age is dressing me!
    being in/about the age of 30 doesn’t change anything in your life!
    if you feel young – dress young,
    if not – get dressed in something you like …
    (perhaps – you look fresh and young while wearing it,
    because you feel good with yourself)

i left the 20s and i don’t feel old anyway.

xoxo

12. Clare says:

I don’t think you dress too young at all. I think your style suits YOU just perfectly. I also totally feel like the whole “dressing your age” thing is such a constructed idea. You can feel, and act, and essentially be a different age than you actually are, and who says that grown women can’t wear frills and pastels, or teenagers can’t pull off a polished blazer and pumps? I think the whole question of style evolution is more about finding out what your “style age” is, that is, what phase in your own stylistic evolution you feel the most comfortable.

All that being said, I think that because it is totally subjective, feeling like you should “dress your age” is still a totally valid thing. Since style is completely individual (although I guess that could be debated too), your own feelings about age and style are just as valid as my desire to ignore age in style.

Great post! 🙂

13. Audi says:

I don’t think you dress too young, and anyway you ARE young! It’s important to have fun with fashion, and let’s face it, clothes for “mature” people are just plain boring. Even at 40, I’m certainly not willing to dress like the fashion mags tell me I should. Wear what makes you feel good!!

14. Eline says:

This is SUCH a cute outfit! But I know what you mean about dressing for your age… On one hand I hate thinking like that because it limits my personal freedom in clothing but on the other there’s stuff like the infantalization of women but also coming off more professional/serious/etc. when dressed your age etc. Dilemma’s!

15. Wicked Halo says:

I kinda of have that problem as well sometimes I wonder, am I dressing much too young for my age? (which helps to why people most of the time think I’m younger than I actually am), but I think we really don’t have to be slaves to certain standards, provided we’re not going into ridiculous territory…besides if I feel younger at heart why would I have to look like a fudidudi just because people expect me to? That said, I don’t think you dress too young for your age, but then again maybe I’m not the best person to judge, since I suffer from the same issue ah ah 😀

16. Missa says:

Ha! Funny you should ask, not too long ago I had a couple of mean anonymous comments left on my blog, the first of which was that I “dress like a twelve year old, not like a woman.” So apparently sometimes I dress like a kid, which I think is fun even though I am 10 years older than you 😉 It really depends on my mood for the day and whatever I’m feeling inspired by at the moment.

17. halfpastafreckle says:

I do not think you dress too young at all! I am nearly 32 (eek…slight shiver)and I just dressed up like Alice! So, I guess what I am trying to say is if it makes you happy don’t worry about it 🙂