Apr 16 2010

Inspiration Flashback ~ Denise Huxtable

Category: InspirationEyeliah @ 8:00 am

In going with these new inspiration directions, Denise Huxtable embodied ‘freedom of expression’ on The Cosby Show.  Denise was our free spirit dream with the sweet voice.  She dressed the studious student in menswear inspired tailoring, bold shoulder padded blazers and layered pearls.  She went funky with with asymmetrical hair and romantic with long curls.  She was the bohemian artist in bold prints, oversized garments, vintage textured pieces.  Whenever her dad had some remark to make about her outfits we would all get so mad, what about your sweater fetish Cosby?

denise huxtable

Were you a fan?

Previous Inspiration Flashbacks
Who’s the Boss
The Craft
Paula Abdul
Little House on the Prairie
Sixteen Candles
Debbie Gibson
My So-Called Life

12 Responses to “Inspiration Flashback ~ Denise Huxtable”

1. Eli says:

I saw her a few months ago at the rose bowl flea market. She is a true bohemian, and looked like a beautiful one in person. She is absolutely stunning and petite!

2. marta says:

I don’t know much about her, but how come she doesn’t make movies/shows anymore? Her style is not my type, she’s too carefree, but if she’s happy with what she wears, that’s what matters.

3. wardrobe experience says:

omg… ‘who’s the boss’ was my fashion flashback!
    I saw it some weeks ago in tv again.
    and for me as a maniac for 80s styles fell in love with Mona’s
    dresses. But I feel still confused by Angela’s outfits. too big 80s shoulders….!

xoxo

4. Tracy says:

oh yes! I so admired her! Nice to hear she’s still doing well 🙂

5. Bianca says:

Ah yes, she wasn’t featured much on the show, but she was central to my FAVORITE episode of the Cosby show – the Gordon Gartrelle shirt episode. All time fav epi.

Anyways, what has she been up to? Well, first she married Lenny Kravitz, and had a daughter, one Zoe Kravitz who is in her 20s now – lovely girl. Then they split and she has been with another man for many years – he is Hawaiian, and was in Stargate Atlantis (the guy with the dreads). They have two kiddos. She has made a few tv and movie appearance here and there over the years, but largely stays very private. 🙂

Oh, I loved Denise. Just loved her. What was that spin-off series she was in, the one with all the college kids? Loved her in that one too, and of course, Dwayne Wayne’s crazy glasses.

7. Eyeliah says:

A Different World, the bottom photo is actually a promo for it. 🙂

8. gina says:

I loved Denise’s style back when. I still do! A Different World is one of my favorite shows. I just watched all the episode again in syndication 2 or 3 years ago. Lisa Bonet’s style is just amazing. Love it. Her daughter has a pretty interesting style too.

9. Mary says:

I LOVED her style on that show!!! When I was maybe 15-16 years old, I went to a very grown-up store and purchased a pair of VERY businessy suit pants (several sizes too large and belted like nobody’s business)based upon her inspiration. I wore them with a cropped off-white sweater, thrifted locket, bowler hat and what my Dad termed “Frankenstein Shoes.” Red lips, of course. I felt awesome in that outfit and a bit over 20 years later, I kind of think I still might, at least in some version of it. In fact, thinking now of what I enjoyed about her eclectic style is making me think that tomorrow may be a day to pair my boyfriend jeans and polka dot flats with my metallic silver jacket for daytime and just go for it! Thanks for the flashback and inspiration!

10. Fabiola "Fab" says:

I’m a huge fan of her!!! I always wish I had her style, hair and beauty!!!

11. Missa says:

LOVED her, definitely one of my favorite sit-com characters of the 80’s! Her style was amazing and I’ve always enjoyed Lisa Bonet’s real life style too from what I’ve seen of it.

12. Schwagg says:

I Love Her Look And It Has Inspired My Summer!