Mar 01 2010

A Lesson in Excess

Category: My ClosetEyeliah @ 4:20 pm

The Skirts

And The Maxi Skirts

I’ve been holding back these pictures for a while now as I am a bit embarrasses to show the amount of skirts that I currently own. At 50+ it is quite a lesson in excess for me. Granted when I look through these items closely many were thrifted, swapped or bought online at reduced prices. But do I really need this many skirts?

I can recall when it started getting out of hand and it was with the start of this blog. Anyone who has read Style Symmetry since the beginning may remember how often I used to (gasp) wear pants. After a month or so of blogging the shift started with a combination of seeing how pants don’t photograph very well, the conscious realization that I experienced better moods when in a skirt or a dress and the fact that I was now living in Vancouver where the weather is much more friendly to my bare or barely covered legs.

So very quickly I was drifting further and further away from pants to skirts and dresses. Then over time, wanting to experiment more with my outfits I drifted further away from dresses as well (double gasp) as skirts provide more versatility options for styling with different blouses and tops. Yes I still wear pants and dresses but skirts, especially a-lines and full skirts are my first choice.

When is it enough?

What do you own the most of clothing, collectible or otherwise?
How many pieces of it do you have?
And more importantly, does it embarrass you?

20 Responses to “A Lesson in Excess”

1. Audi says:

Oh geez, I own so many skirts and shoes that it’s a bit embarrassing. The biggest problem is that it’s hard to wear them all before I just get sick of seeing them in the closet.

Loved your outfit yesterday, BTW!

2. RockandCouture says:

OK I have waaay to many jeans. Duplicates of the same jeans. Shoes… Did I mention shoes… (hiding) waaay to many!

3. Beck says:

Off the top of my head I’m not really sure what I own “a lot” of, as far as specific clothing items (color themes is another story) but apparently ive re-amassed enough footwear that now my BF is telling me I cant get another pair unless I get rid of one. Personally I dont think I have enough. I’m sure I have less than 20 pairs here, and they all get heavy rotation so I refuse to admit any sort of problem πŸ™‚

4. girlxoxo says:

I don’t own a lot of any one thing – but it’s embarrassing the amount of black pieces in my closet – shirts, skirts & especially tight fitting black dresses.

5. Tracy says:

actually I’m kinda trying to build up the amt. of interesting pieces in my wardrobe, lol–I’ve just begun delving into the fashion blog world and have been getting inspired! but I do need to clear some stuff out of my closet to make room πŸ˜‰

6. jocelyne says:

I have lots of everything, eekkk! I am moving soon, so hopefully that will be a good excuse to purge! It’s fun to always have something to wear but it makes for a lot to deal with.

7. Jessica says:

No need to be embarrassed – especially if you still love and wear them! But I’m getting this way with jewelry. I’m becoming quite the packrat, er, “collector.”

8. Heidi says:

*Holding up Hands*

Guilty as charged!

Actually, I recently had a giant purge, and got rid of 7….yes SEVEN garbage bags (big suckers) filled to the brim with nice clothes that I just HAD to have at the time, but never wore. And….it felt GREAT!

I feel so much better now, I can’t even tell you….but I still have more I should probably get rid of. It’s a really good thing to put everything out though, and have an objective look at how much you have.

I’m finding as I get a bit older, I am more at peace with just ‘loving’ things, but not having to own them. πŸ™‚

Love your blog, Eyeliah. I know you from Flickr, my ghost-name was Darkstar Vintage (now it’s Alpine Gypsy).

Heidi

9. Amie says:

I just have too many clothes in general. At the moment I have four large storage bags filled with clothes, plus what’s in my wardrobe. It’s been like this for years, mostly because for a long time my weight would yoyo so much that I pretty much needed a wardrobe ranging over three sizes. But I seem to have plateaued the last year or two, so I’m about to start selling what I don’t wear on eBay.

10. lisa says:

I recently had to edit down my skirt collection and give some up for donation–there were so many of them and I’m a jeans girl 3/4 of the time anyway!

11. wardrobe experience says:

you made me count my dresses… there about 54 dresses in
    and around my closet… Dress No 55 and No 56 went to the flea market-
    box because i dind’t wore them for about a year.
    do you wear all these skirts? yes? so keep them in your closet. If not,
    set them free…

xx

12. Wicked Halo says:

I own a lot of sneakers, I’m a bit of a sneaker freaker and I don’t buy nearly as many as I like to :DDD But I’m going through the same phase you went with the whole trousers/skirts things…I used to live on trousers alone, but I’ve been slowly moving to skirts/dresses and frankly I only wear trousers now because it’s too cold!

13. Alice says:

That is a very serious collection of skirts Eyeliah!

I own too many coats and jackets, in fact I have a whole closet full of them…I am not really embarassed, I know they will last a lifetime!

And if I have a daughter she will inherit them, so her futuristic looking friends will be envious of her lovely vintage pieces :))

14. Casey says:

Looks like you have a lot of gorgeous skirts, judging by the array of colors and patterns! πŸ™‚ (And the outfits you show built around them! πŸ˜‰

I’d have to say my wardrobe is pretty even right now, although it may tilt a little more towards the cardigan/lightweight jacket side. I have a fixation on little layering pieces like that, and have a hard time saying no when I find something in a color I like at a good price. lol! I definitely am not embarrassed about how stuffed my closet is–mostly because I view my clothes as I would art supplies (which I also have a tendency to hoard! lol): they’re bits and pieces that combine to make up a whole, so I can’t really say which I’d need and those I wouldn’t! Or maybe I’m just justifying all my clothes?! lol.

β™₯ Casey
    blog | elegantmusings.com

15. Kayla says:

I recently did a count, and I currently own over 100 pairs of shoes. Pairs!! That’s 200 individual shoes! Scary. At first I was embarrassed, but now I consider it a collection ( because really at a certain point it deserves to be called a collection) and it is a wonderful conversation starter πŸ™‚

16. robyn says:

Skirts are the best separates. Must owns. They are the one thing I always end up wearing from the sets I sell. I however, have an ungodly collection of V neck T shirts. They make me happy.

I love your skirt collection. I too wear pants less and less, though I love dresses just a bit more than skirts.

I never know when is too much. When I get so much closet overflow that I deliberately hold off doing laundry so that I have some free hangers? When my over the hooks (yes plural) are filled five hangers deep? When I bring home 10 new things and then only find one to bring to the thrift store?

I know for sure, I have too many shoes, over 40 pairs. I have way too much jewelry. And I always hate to relinquish any of it.

18. RΕ«ta says:

i’m a dress girl, i have never counted how much of them i have, but it deffinitelly will be more then 40 really “wearable” dresses. That’s a lot for me, and the worst thing is that i just can’t stop buying and sewing them… and i already don’t have space for them in my closet.

19. Style Symmetry » The Tiny Closet says: