Feb 17 2010

How to Wear Everything in Your Closet

Category: How To,My Closet,ProjectsEyeliah @ 9:00 am

How do I make sure to wear everything in my closet?  I put the pressure on!

Once or twice a year I go through my closet and purge, when I see things I don’t wear but also don’t want to get rid of they go into a special spot in my closet ‘the must wear pile’. It’s the first spot I see when I open the closet every day, after a while maybe a few months if I still haven’t worn the items they gotta go.  Here are the current items I need to wear.

Two sweet vintage capes wasting their loveliness, horse and poodle brown novelty sweaters, pink heart printed sweater and J Crew striped sweater.

Army printed hoodie, Roxy mesh hoodie (wore a lot a few years back), batik printed top with pockets, denim vest, purple swirl blouse, semi sheer top with lipstick print, green plaid top with lace shoulders (from a trip to Toronto in 2004 – my first taste of Urban Outfitters!).

The electric blue blouse and pink ballerina top have been on this list before, baby blue blouse, sparkly belt, belt choker necklace, green fuzzy hat (new find) and sequined chiffon blouse.

I got right to it with the beige cape, and yes these are wet hair photos.

I need to replace the buttons on this cape to something larger as they don’t stay closed.

Outtake, paging Doctor Eyeliah

Thrifted Crochet Cape, Brown Floral Dress, Maroon Gloves and Navy Nurse Shoes. The Bay Floral Tights.

21 Responses to “How to Wear Everything in Your Closet”

1. Elissa of Spandexpony says:

Ack!! Love it! PS– if you don’t plan on keeping the puppy or horse sweaters, perhaps we can arrange an exchange??? hmmmmmm???? 😉

2. Rachel says:

I love how you wore the cape and gloves together, a perfect combo, I think. BUT. The poodle sweater?!? POODLE. Wear it! It is so amazing.

3. Sara says:

Oh I love that cape! It’s so much fun. I love how you’ve styled it with the long gloves and patterned dress and patterned tights, too.

4. jesse.anne.o says:

I am DROOLING over that horse cape. Jeez! I LOVE it.

5. Eline says:

That is SUCH a cute cape! I’m glad you wore it because that outfit is adorable! You look so cute 😀

6. Diana says:

That crocehted cape is lovely! I like your plan for making sure you wear items that haven’t gotten any love in awhile.

7. Stephanie says:

Great idea. I have clothes that I haven’t worn in a while that I can’t bear to part with. The horse and poodle sweaters are cute.

Love how you wore the cape! I think I really should make a must-wear pile myself; there is always way too much stuff in my closet that is not being worn. You must get yourself to wear the electric blue blouse and the ballerina top! MUST, I tell you! 😉

9. jocelyne says:

That outfit is so cute! I have a similar vintage cape sweater (that I don’t wear, ha!) but yours has those great metallic buttons that are unique!

10. Retro Chick says:

I love that cream cape! When you’re tired of it send it to me 😉

11. Jaime says:

I like that sequined cami! Great look you pulled together too 🙂

Come back on Fri- I am posting another FW post!!

Good luck getting through your pile!
    I’ll take that sparkly belt off your hands if you find you don’t wear it…..

13. Kyla says:

Perfect cape! It looks great over that dress.

14. jentine says:

Just so you know…. if that lovely cape or the horse (! AHHH!!! I love horse things) sweater ever make it from your ‘must wear’ pile to the ‘donate’ pile… there is a nice home waiting for them here.

15. Missa says:

Love the cape, and I adore how you styled it here!

Ooo, you look so chic! I really like that cape. Also, I cannot wait to see you in the horse sweater.

17. Alice says:

Love this outfit! It is so romantic and soft, love the cape with the gloves!

18. Beck says:

Wow. Those capes are lovely. The cream one seems like it must be warm too?

I can’t imagine how big of a pile I’d have if I pulled out all the things I dont wear (or bought and haven’t worn – prime example is a seersucker halter dress from H&M that I got, oh…3 years ago? Still has the tags on it. Go me)

19. Tracy says:

Oh you look so classy with the cape and the long gloves! I’ve simply GOT to get out there and search for some interesting items–thanks for the inspiration!

20. Valerie says:

that cape is such a neat find, i love it. i have a must wear pile, too! i hang them on a clothes rack near my shop items instead of burying them in the closet, otherwise they’ll be forgotten.

21. gina says:

Love the cape! Looks darling on you!

Those are some great pieces in your must-wear pile. I can see why you would be loathe to part with them, even if they’re not getting out much.