Feb 14 2010

Adventures in Thrifting

Category: I ShopEyeliah @ 9:59 am

I’ve done a handful of successful thrifting lately.

Story #1

A stop at my favorite thrift shop, it’s hours are so limited that I only go once every few months if that.

This vintage blazer is immaculate, for the first time ever I bought something to sell online.  I was told I could take one t shirt for free and I remembered seeing this ‘I’m with Stupid’ hoodie, lol.  P.S. I’m impressed with myself for wearing the plaid pants and teal sweater already, it usually takes me much longer to wear new items.

Story #2

I like to take pictures in the change room to get another viewpoint on an item, what can I say it’s very Cher Horowitz.  Actually it’s not really here since she does it because she does not trust mirrors and I’m taking these pictures into a mirror so…..

It was the photo of these pleated slacks that helped me decide to buy them – yes sadly I think they are cool, I blame Blooming Leopold and nemrešpobjećodnedjelje.  This little jacket was adorable but out of my price range at $12 since I already had the pants $9 and an Abercrombie cardigan $8 but only $23 in my pocket, do the math.

Imagine my surprise and gratitude when they gave me everything for the $23, I was overwhelmed by the generosity and made sure to drop off a big bag of donations by the weekend.

Story #3
Both of these interesting vintage hats I could not say no to.  I can tell you how practical these purchases were, the weren’t.

Story #4 – Pièce de Résistance

Are you seeing double?  I was too when I spotted a pair of jeans at the North Vancouver Salvation Army exactly the same as a pair I thrifted there three years ago! I gladly marched to the till and handed over $7.  Checking the tags when I got home, they really were exactly the same, except the old pair are getting quite worn and the new are pristine.

What have you thrifted lately?

12 Responses to “Adventures in Thrifting”

1. Eline says:

Oh I think I forgot to comment on that outfit but I loved the plaid + teal sweater combo a lot! The colours were totally adorable.

Oh and I have a similar thrifting adventure to your pants story.For about four years now I’ve been coming across the same high waisted jeans skirt by a brand called WALLYS! When I first came across it it was 10 cents. I destroyed that first pair, so I got a second which was 34 cents and by now it’s gone up to 5 Euros! It’s weird that I’m still coming across them! XD

Oh and I love that thrifted fur hats and adorable peter pan collar jacket! So cute!

2. Alice says:

I love thrift shopping! It is so much more exciting than retail shopping, isn’t it? Love the blazer, can’t wait to see it on you! The pleated pants are great as well, I am a bit mad about them at the moment.

I wouldn’t have hesitated about the hats either, practical they are, or not.

I did some thrift shopping as well this weekend, came across vintage Ralph Lauren pants for €5!

3. Leproust says:

I have been catching up on all of your posts!! We have had extremely annoying internet interruptions the last week, and it has really interfered with my blog reading (which is what I do to relax after work) ugh. Anyway, thank you for linking to my fantasy/reality posts! 🙂

I LOVE the teal sweater and the hats that you thrifted! They are amazing!

Oo, what a great thing to find a pair of jeans (that you love) all over again!
    As for me, I have a floral sundress that I thrifted that I cannot wait to wear, but this snow has got to melt and I need to buy some new wedges. Probably the ones that the boy hates.

5. Beck says:

Looks like some great finds! Still love those plaid pants. I haven’t been to the local thrift store in a few months, but last time I went I got a LOT of stuff. Some of my most complimented items are thrift finds! It makes me want to go back more than my wallet will allow.

I haven’t had any good thrifting trips in a while. Last time I went out the only item I liked was a little fur shrug that was originally from Forever 21 and they wanted $18 for it. The MSRP was probably less than that.

I’m glad you were able to get the little jacket – that’s my favorite!

7. Bianca says:

I really love that little jacket – I am so glad that went home with you!!

8. jentine says:

What have I thrifted lately… more like, what haven’t I thrifted, I’ve been a little out of contril. Lots of dresses…
    Um, those hats are beautiful!!!!

9. Rachael says:

The hats are divine and awesome work on the jeans!

Oh wow, the hats are amazing!!!

11. Robyn says:

I love a good vintage hat. I never sell the ones I find… I also never really let the model wear them for store photos. (She looks silly in hats… shhh). So jealous of those two.

12. Style Symmetry » 5 Year Blogaversary says:

[…] ended up finding the exact same pair to replace them and they are still my favorite […]