Feb 11 2010

My 1988 Olympic Experience

Category: Life,My OutfitsEyeliah @ 4:25 pm

As I am getting all geared up to watch the Olympic torch roll into my city I thought I should flashback to my first Olympic experience. In 1988 I was living in my hometown of Calgary Alberta, I was 6 years old and excited for the Olympics. My older cousin was going to be performing in the Opening Ceremonies and I thought that was just the coolest thing ever. Then my dad got tickets to the Opening Ceremonies which meant I would get to go. Sadly he got sick and then mom took me instead.

That’s me! Bundled up because boy it was cold! There were ponchos under each seat that we had to put on (get on it lady in blue!), most were white but there were lucky people in the crowd (like red in the foreground) who made out the Olympic rings in the audience. I remember being very jealous of the people with a colored poncho.

At the time I was living in an apartment building downtown and I remember running out to the street to see the Olympic torch go by the side alley, so exciting.

I haven’t even told you the best part….. I carried the torch! Don’t believe me?

Photographic evidence!

I entered a contest at my school, one child from each grade was chosen and I won!

My class with their paper torches (suckers!).

There are so many great events I plan on attending at these 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics like the free concerts, zipline and I have tickets to a mens qualification hockey game. Also I am using all my spare time running around with my camera snapping people from all over the world who are here to celebrate, perform and compete.

Will you be watching the games?

17 Responses to “My 1988 Olympic Experience”

1. robyn says:

AWESOME! Those kids with their lame paper torches must have been so jealous. I think I would be excited if the games were here, but I’m going to be frank with you …. I just don’t care. I have no intention of watching any olympic events. I don’t have a television, so this isn’t a decision I am making out of a strong hatered for the games. Again, I just don’t care.

2. Coco says:

That is so cool! Wow Olympic twice in a lifetime that pretty lucky! 😉 Django and I are going to watch the Olympic Torch passing through our neighborhood tonight! Exciting!

3. Ashley says:

Oh man, I am seriously jealous right now. I LOVE the olympics! Both summer and winter! I can’t wait for the winter olympics this year and I am dying to go to the 2012 summer olympics in London! It’s so funny too, because I am soooooo not sporty at all (if it’s not tennis or rugby, I couldn’t careless), but the olympics are my time. I’m so excited!

4. Suzanna says:

I LOVE this pic of you swathed in plastic! Adorable!

I sure will be watching your big show down here in Florida. We are almost as cold as Vancouver right now so I feel a special kinship.

Can’t wait to see your pics.

awww your so cute! what fun that must have been!

6. Angel says:

Very cool. I’m in shock that you carried the torch!!! I love the winter Olympics. It’s much better than the summer ones.

Man, I wish I still lived in Bellingham, though getting over the border would be a NIGHTMARE. Or at least that is what I imagine. I wonder how the traffic is going to be on the little two lane highway through there. I would watch the games if I had cable. I used to have the biggest crush on Apolo Anton Ohno. Be still my 16 year old heart.

Oh, I forgot to add: it is so COOL that you get to experience not one, but TWO Olympics. What are the chances? Also, you are friggin adorable with that huge torch.

9. Sara says:

This is the cutest post ever. I love it! What a wonderful story! I will definitely be watching and wishing I were a figure skater. Happens every Olympics.

10. Michi says:

WOW, what an experience!! That is such a great thing to be a part of as a child. I love those family pictures you put up. Thank you for sharing that! My fiancee’s father was one of the torch-runners for the LA Summer Olympics (I think the company he was working for nominated him to represent them), and now he has the Olympic torch that he carried in the living room!

11. Caboguy says:

– I am sure that you are one of the few people who have the mascots from both the Calgary Winter Games from when you lived there and from the Korea Summer Games which I bought in Soeul…a very cool collection to which you now can add the Vancouver mascots (what are there, 10?) – have fun enjoying the festivities and good luck with photographing at least one athlete from all the 80 countries!

Oh how cool are those photos of you carrying the torch! I have never been to the Olympics anywhere, but have watched a fair amount of them on tv in my lifetime, wishing I was there in person!

13. Kristen says:

what an awesome experience, not many people have carried the torch!

14. mom says:

I ran the entire block in my new aligator pumps..taking pictures…… don’t you love me more NOW ? hehe
    Thanks to daddy getting sick and passing his very desired Opening ceremony tickets he bot for you and him….to me…What a sweetheart !!

15. renr says:

Gosh you were so cute as a child! That first picture with you almost engulfed in all those clothes is super cute! I want to go back in time and hug you to bits XDDD
    And lol your classmates must have been so jealous! XDD

16. Laura says:

How cool that you got to carry the Olympic torch! I’m from the Seattle area and will be heading up next week for one event and 24 hours of Olympic adventure. I’m very excited!

17. C&G says:

Gosh but you are the cutest thing! I graduated college in 1988 so, THANKS for making me feel old again 🙂 I cannot believe you have spring weather up there and I have friends in Virginia down here who had to stay in a motel for much of last week since they had no power or heat due to 2 feet of snow that knocked down a tree – go figure!

We are watching down here too…saw the Canadian snowboard guy win a gold last night and got choked up with everyone singing “Oh, Canada!” Yes, some Americans, believe it or not, do NOT just “count medals” 🙂

Looking forward to watching more figure skating this week and next as that is my fav sport…