Jan 30 2010

How To Store Socks and Tights

Category: How To,My ClosetEyeliah @ 12:00 pm

Living in a small home of 600 square feet with my husband has it challenges, such as getting my own space and having company stay over but mostly storing all our stuff!  When we moved in here 3 and a half years ago massive downsizing was required.  One thing that I haven’t downsized since living in warm Vancouver is my tights and kneesocks collection!  As it grew and grew I had to move my bathing suits and comfy pants out of the bottom drawer of my four drawer dresser and into the closet.

Here is an overall look at the bottom drawer.

I got the idea from American Apparel packing their tights into resealable plastic bags to put my other stockings into ziploc baggies.  When the bags are sealed (or on an angel so not open at the top) it not only keeps them organized by color, is space saving and time saving, it also prevents snagging on the wood of the dresser as of course this drawer is overloaded!  These 12 plastic bags hold 23 pairs of tights.  Three pairs of much thicker tights are on their own bottom middle and a pair I haven’t opened yet at the top.

On the right side kneesocks are also organized by color and stuffed to capacity or I’d be making another sockdreams order.

If you have any tips to add, please leave them in the comments!

Want More of How I Store?
Belts
Dresses
Brooches
Scarves
Purses

9 Responses to “How To Store Socks and Tights”

1. hillary says:

haa You think thats is small! heee mine is 300 which is an upgrade from the 212 I used to live in. You live in a mansion to me. hee

2. Jenny says:

awesome! i’m going to try these baggy tricks for organizing my tights.

3. Leproust says:

That is a great idea! We lived in 750 sq ft so I totally understand the challenges…. especially when you are a fashion lover! I actually ended up hanging my tights, but my sock drawer is always SUCH a mess!

4. Robin says:

Stealing this idea!

My tights and socks got pushed out my drawer space long, long ago. Now they occupy two plastic storage crate-like things in my closet.

I use old clothing gift boxes to divide my sock drawer. But since the boys socks share the space it usually gets a little disorganized.

7. overcaffeinated says:

The baggie idea is genius! I’m constantly digging through my tights, and it can be frustrating since I own quite a few pair. Not to mention, in the morning (before coffee), it’s hard for me to tell the difference between navy blue, charcoal and black tights!

8. Retro Chick says:

What a genius idea! I have my socks and tights in a hanging thingy on my clothes rail.

9. stephie says:

i was looking for a good idea to store hoisery and fishnet stockings and came across this page great idea. makes the ones ure looking for easy to find too an even greater idea is to get the baggies with the label things on them so u can write the sizes so in case u have different sizes of the same kind.