Jan 28 2010

A Lesson in Shopping

Category: My OutfitsEyeliah @ 8:55 am

This wrap dress is an example of ‘a lesson in shopping‘. When I was in New York in 2006 I spent a morning shopping at H&M and purchased this wrap dress for $50. The next day I spotted two girls in Manhattan in this exact dress, then a month or so later I saw it used on a billboard ad (not for H&M), then a character on a tv show wore it, then over time I saw three girls in Vancouver (before we even had an H&M here) in this dress. I don’t like wearing what everyone else is wearing, that’s why I 95% of the time thrift, clothing swap and shop vintage on ebay and etsy.

Have you noticed people in the same clothes that you own, does it bug you too?

This week you may have noticed I’ve worn a couple dresses from my sewing pile… that’s right I am on track to have everything mended by the end of the month, just 2 items and 3 days to go! I’ve been really craving the orange slip dress but I have to get the wrinkles out first. Usually when I wear this wrap dress I like to keep everything else simple as it’s quite the statement on it’s own but I realized that these thrifted crochet earrings echo the print in the dress so they had to be included.

Wrap Dress, H&M. Winner Brown Shirt and Beige Boots. Sears Brown Leggings. Thrifted Crochet Earrings $1.

18 Responses to “A Lesson in Shopping”

1. Kristen says:

Those earring are perfect with that dress! (and that dress looks fantastic on you, nice shape, great colour and cool print!)

2. Chelsea says:

this may be worn by everyone else and their mama, but you look awesome in it! I especially love it paired with the brown or black tights/tank and the camel boots. and the earrings are a great final touch!

3. Carla says:

That dress was made for you! You look great – who cares if there are other people with it! But I think that is typical for chain, “discount” clothing stores. I only have one item from H&M in my closet and I was something I purchased from a thrift store. I think I saw two people with that same sweater. I never had that experience before or since.

4. Eline says:

That is SUCH a pretty dress! It looks absolutely splendid with those hues of brown and your skintone ^^. I currently own an H&M coat that everyone seems to be wearing! Just now, when I headed to my parents (just a ride of a little under an hour) I saw at least FIVE girls wearing the same coat. Haha, I’ve never experienced this situation this bad. But I honestly don’t mind so much. It’s the way you put it together etc. that makes you stand out from the crowd and shows your true originality ^^

5. Franca says:

It’s a great dress. Like Eline, there is also lots and lots of people with the same coat as me (it may well be the same one: red, a-line, big buttons. It doesn’t really bother me when lots of people wear the same thing as me, I see it as a challenge to wear the thing in new and interesting ways! But then again, it rarely happens. If it did, I might get a bit annoyed.

6. Robby says:

I don’t mind seeing another girl in something that I own as long as she is stylish. Nothing is more depressing than seeing a piece of clothing you love being worn badly…. sigh. Thrifting does seem like the best alternative. I’m also a big fan of altering clothes slightly, to make them just a little bit different.

7. Kyla says:

You look fantastic in that dress! And I love it paired with the brown boots!

8. Corie says:

I’ve never seen that dress…but it’s very pretty and you look good in it.

9. Beck says:

Your dress is killer! I love that shade of green and the print is really fun, this whole outfit looks great.

I haven’t had a lot of encounters with other people wearing the same things as me, but most of the time the other people around me are guys.

10. Charlie says:

I know how you feel, sometimes that puts me off buying something really distinctive from a chain store because every girl and their mother will be wearing it. In my city it seems when things are in trend you see them on everyone and I find it annoying to see someone wearing the same thing as me. I guess that I have to really love that item to buy it, and then when I wear it I try to put my own stamp on it to stand out from the herd.

11. deka says:

it drives me nuts too!! :-p

I don’t mind when other people have the same clothes, and once when i was wearing a skirt that i had made, a girl came up to me and said she had the same one. I just laughed and agreed that it was a really nice skirt.

My friend, my sister and I all have red pea coats. they aren’t identical, but when we go out together wearing them, they may as well be.

I actually really love it when my clothes are on tv. It has happened three times, and I’m always very flattered.

It’s not the pieces that make an outfit unique, it’s the person.

13. Diana says:

This is a really pretty dress! Sometimes it bothers me when I see others wearing the something I own, sometimes it doesn’t. I guess it really depends on the circumstances and how they styled it. However, I think that this is why I haven’t bought any of the Rodarte for Target line – it feels like everyone and their mom are wearing it.

14. Eyeliah says:

You ladies are so smart (and right), if we add some more style to the pieces than it will look different. I’ll be thinking of new ways to wear this dress. 🙂 Thanks!

The dress looks wonderful on you, I wish I could pull off wrap dresses! I have done my fair share of shopping at H&M, and have seen others wear the same stuff. If it is shoes or a bag, then i don’t mind it so much, but if it is a particular item with a bold print or cut, then I do mind. There have been times when I have stopped wearing something because I felt so bad seeing the same thing on other people. Perhaps that makes me a bit selfish when style and clothes are concerned, but I can’t help it!

16. Jessica says:

This dress is so pretty on you – even if others rocked it too! I don’t mind seeing other people wear the same shirt/sweater/whatever when it’s from a chain store. I expect it and I think we all style our clothes differently enough that the total look is different. However when I spend serious cash on something, I get pretty pissy when I see someone else wearing it in my city.

17. Tracy says:

I really like that dress..and paired with the boots and those earrings it looks just fantastic!! You definitely made it your own 😉 Lovely!

18. Pashupati says:

When I was younger than now, I bought a small jacket, with little round gold buttons, etc. from La Redoute. Lots of chains had similar jackets, I suppose. At least H&M had as well. (I was “toddlering” into fashion back then)
    Soon everybody in town and my school started wearing similar jackets! At the moment it really frustrated me, because I thought it looked like I actually didn’t think about what I was wearing and just going with the flow, and I felt like they stole a good find of mine. It had a lot to do with me not liking my school at the time.
    Now, I don’t wear this jacket anymore. I forgot about it until I saw people wearing similar jackets again recently.
    I don’t know if I still like it.
    It was my first real personally chosen jacket. Not one I had chosen for cosyness or warmness, but one I had chosen for the style, on my own.
    :'(

I really like the patterns on your dress. Makes me think of a kimono, somewhat.
    Pashupati´s last blog post ..Amandes amères