Clothing Swap Shenanigans
Jessica hosted a Clothing Swap Party last night and it was a major success – I’ve never seen so many cute dresses and skirts – eek!
We added a new step to the beginning of the process, each person shows the group every piece they brought and tells a bit about its history, origin and/or size. This is very helpful to really know what is in the pile, we’ve found that fewer items get left behind for donation this way and plus is extends the swapping fun.
How to Choose Items
1. Before you go the swap, (just like before you go shopping, thrifting, online hunting) evaluate where the holes are in your wardrobe and where there is already too much excess. I for one need dress pants, jeans, cute blouses and shoes. I do not need a-line skirts, purses, hoodies or any other casual clothes.
2. Hopefully when everyone was showing off their items you’ve been making mental notes of the pieces that would be really helpful for your wardrobe. Start by trying on the items that you really need. First thing I did was try on all the pants close to my size, then the blouses and shoes.
3. Now you’ve chosen a couple cute items that will really add to you growing wardrobe, congrats. Why not try a couple pieces you normally would not. These are free clothes, live a little, you may be surprised that the light wash denim mini skirt suits your curves or the 90’s velvet jumper is so 2010.
4. By this time the craziness and the picking at the pile has slowed down. Now really go for it, no one is counting anymore. Cute cotton t-shirts in mint condition, something your best friend would love, your favorites that you’ve been neglecting because you already have too much, heck even items that would be good for reselling online (I haven’t done that yet but I don’t see why not).
5. This is the last and most important step, retry on EVERYTHING you chose. And ask yourself; Does it fit properly? Will I wear it? Do I love it? Did it look better on another girl or did another girl want it more?
Hope this thoughts help you achieve successful swapping.
So I did go a bit overboard as there was so much good stuff at this swap! Anything that doesn’t work out for me can easily brought to the next get together. Crochet Sweater Vest with Floral Appliqué, Simple Baby Blue Tee, glittery and lace cute top (first choice), jean skirt and REVERSIBLE purple a-line skirt.
Polka dot cotton sundress, black with grey and cream scarf, silk party dress, brown super soft dress pants, floral purse.
We took another set of pictures with our favorite items.