Dec 19 2009

I Believe That We’re In This Together

Category: My OutfitsEyeliah @ 4:30 pm

A quick look through my ropa set on flickr will show that I am constantly accentuating my waist.  Why is that you ask?  I am pear (also known as triangle or bell) shaped.  I would love to say I am an hourglass but I’m not busty enough for that!  There are a few ways of dressing that are taboo for us pears like skinny jeans, body con dresses, hip belts, stiff fabrics and loose tops and dresses (I’m coveting this gorgeous dress from Q’s Daydream on Etsy that’s so wrong for my shape).  Today I felt like defying these rules by piling on long loose layers and maybe also a bit too much jewelry.

What is your body shape?  What is taboo for you?

Silk Mustard Skirt Worn as Blouse, Etsy. Green Silk Skirt, Thrifted.Orange Necklace Gift. Vintage Necklaces. Winners Faux Fur Sweater and Faux Suede Boots.

*Relax Take It Easy, Mika*

17 Responses to “I Believe That We’re In This Together”

1. Hannele says:

Wow, love love the choice of layered jewels with yellow top and cropped fur jacket. Oh and the makeup is immaculate. Really beautiful colors for you.
    Body shape, hhmm, always thought I was an hourglass, but with about 3 inches more on my hips compared to bust that makes me a pear, yet my shoulders sort of balance things out, but definitely wish I was more of an hourglass too. Skinny jeans used to be taboo, but I grew to like them. Now, I just won’t wear shorts. Hopefully, I’ll feel differently later…

2. alison says:

I get a little frustrated with the restrictions we’re supposed to put on ourselves just for the sake of flattering our figures. I guess I’m kind of hourglass, but there’s really no shape I rule out. I think you look great in this outfit, but I do identify with accentuate the waist. I just wouldn’t let it limit me.

3. Clare says:

I’m a rectangle. I wish that was a more accepted body type. Having no waist at all (AT. ALL.) makes me extraordinarily rectangular. I freakin’ love your necklace though!

4. Kathleen says:

Wow! Your makeup looks flawless in these images! Can you create a post of your make routine and all the types and brands of make-up you wear? I am a fan! i think everyone that reads the blog would enjoy it! 🙂 xoxo

I’m a very short waisted hour glass, and I can not wear high wasited pants, skirts below my knee or horizontal stripes. (though I’ve been caving in a bit with the stripes and now own two tops, a cammi and skirt all featuring the widening, shortening stripes!!)

I think you should just get the dress from etsy – it may be taboo, but with the right accessories, I’m sure you could make it work. For most things that we shouldn’t wear, there is usually a compromise.

I really like the layered necklaces, I always want to do that, but I feel like none of mine go together, somehow.

Your lip color is really lovely too.

6. Eline says:

OMG! That jewellery is AMAZING! Also love the colours your wearing!

As you know, I’m a pear shape too but I really hate dressing in order to hide that like Trinny and Susannah bullcrap. Why should I hide my own body, why should I try to dress it in order to look more like the current beauty ideal? I love my own body even with all the cellulite and tiny A-cup. I don’t want to fulfil the current beauty ideal, it’s boring and mysoginist. Mysoginist because media’s beauty ideal is this weak, waif child-like woman. Why can’t I be a real woman? Why can’t I be proud of my body the way it is? etc. etc.

So no, I have no dressing taboos! 😀

7. Kelly says:

The jewellery is so amazing; I love what you’ve done with it, and you look like a model in that close up shot! I don’t think dressing for your body type is a bad thing – I’d hazard a guess that most of us wear what we wear to feel good about ourselves, and we tend to feel good when we’re wearing something that totally rocks on us! I really like you in the outfits accentuating your waist – your belts are amazing and they flatter your shape so well, and short skirts really look fab on you!

I’ve been told I’m an inverted triangle up top, with my shoulders slightly broader than my hips, and I’m slender so I’m lucky enough to look good in most things I put on – though dresses that accentuate curvy shapes, or shapeless dresses, tend to make me look like a two-year old, with my small bust and slightly rectangular shape (I’d like a few more curves!). I don’t think in terms of taboos but I live by the rule of tossing items I don’t feel good in … and more often than not that means they don’t look good on me!

8. katrina says:

all the same, you look amazing. my body shape? pear, with the same issues as you’ve mentioned.

9. Retro Chick says:

I’m also a pear, verging on an hourglass I suppose!

People always tell me they think I’ll look great in fitted shift dresses, but the ones they make now pull on my hips and are baggy on my waist. Give me a 50s or 60s shift dress though and it fits perfectly!

Sometimes you just have to wear what you want and I think that outfit looks great!

10. Second Skin says:

I am not really sure that the skirt and shirt are great friends, but separately they would probably work. I guess that was maybe the point of your post here. Trying to NOT accentuate your waist. But seriously, I belt almost everything all the time. I have a boy shaped body so I try to work in flowyness and a nipped in waist when I can. I absolutely adore the fur vest with the top and jewelry though. Belt that top over stovepipe jeans and knee high boots and it will look super boho chic. Even if you hate the skinnies it think it would look great on you!

11. Coco says:

Gorgeous Necklace! The top color is so pretty, I also love the print! Bodyshape; hmmm Im a bad yoyo dieter so it change all the time! 🙂

12. Eyeliah says:

Thanks so much for the thoughts all! Kathleen, I am working on the makeup post. 🙂

13. Missa says:

I think these loose proportions look lovely on you!

Hmm, I don’t really wear strapless dresses, as they tend to just fall down.

Your necklace is amazing! I love how big it is!
    I am also a pear shape. I long for a 1930’s drop waist dress that I know I could never wear…

Great necklaces!

As for my body shape, I am not quite sure what I am exactly. What I do know is that I have a ridiculously long back, which makes me steer away from fitted & cropped jackets because they never ever fit. Boleros are tough too, but I wear them with heels so that my legs look longer. Other than that I just wear what I like. 🙂

16. kwin jani says:

Yes i love the jewellery too!

In answer to the question, I have disproportionately big boobs, so there are so many things i can’t wear. Dresses are hard, as what fits down the bottom will be too small up the top, and vice versa. I can’t wear antything that hangs loosely from the bust as it looks like i am wearing a tent on top. All my tops must come in under the bust. It’s extremely restrictive. I have been into shops some seasons where i have looked at the tops and dresses and realised i could not get away with weaing one single item in the shop. Most depressing! I *so* envy girls with small boobs. They can wear any tops,including those you can’t wear a bra with.

Anyone else out there restricted by their bust when it comes to clothes?

17. Urooba says:

ooo, your eyeliner looks great!