Dec 15 2009

To Flash or Not To Flash

Category: My OutfitsEyeliah @ 3:00 pm

Some days my pictures taking skills are not at their best…. yesterday was one of those days.  I only had five minutes to take the photos or I could have figured it out.

With no flash the picture is too dark. (See our first snow of the season in the background!)

And with flash it was too bright.

I think you get the idea regardless.

Vintage Paisley Dress, Etsy. Thrifted Red Sweater and Snood. Sockdreams Kneehigh Socks. Winners Beige Boots.

14 Responses to “To Flash or Not To Flash”

1. Chelsea says:

okay you have got the most magnificent skin! and red is your color. that is all!

2. Hannele says:

Absolutely lovely ensemble! Something Nordic about it that I really like.
    About the exposure issue… I’ve been having the same problem and found a little no-flash trick, keep in mind I use the self timer though, right before pushing the button, I adjust the display’s sensitivity to light by exposing my fingers in front and about a foot from the lens, this adjusts exposure according to how much of your fingers it is catching, usually a little bit helps lighten the photo. Hope that made sense.

3. Kyla says:

This is a great outfit! I especially LOVE the snood. Must get one…

4. Kate & Zena says:

Does your camera have a flash adjusting setting? My dad’s digital has one (well, did. He kinda killed it in a kayaking trip). You should be able to adjust the flash a little bit if it does have an adjustment setting.

By the way, I’m very jealous of your weather. You have nice, semi-toasty weather (raining or not). It’s a bitterly cold -21 degrees Celsius with windchill where I live (that’s -5F w/wind chill, 8 w/out wind chill). I’d like an all-expenses paid vacation to Australia right about now.

5. Clare says:

Girl, you look stunning in red. I love this look!

I always prefer to use natural light over the flash. Most point and shoot flashes will murder clothes, especially any thing that has even a subtle shine.

Most cameras have a manual setting to adjust the exposure, or switch to a higher ISO which can help in the lower lighting situations.

Regardless, I love the print on that dress, and the red hood scarf is so cute on you!

7. katrina says:

i have the same problems photographing myself. it can be immensely frustrating. anyhow, your outfit is adorable. your red hood reminds me of the movie, chocolat.

8. Coco says:

Love this look! The color look gorgeous on you!

-Coco

9. Bianca says:

“And I know things now, many valuable things, that I didn’t know before..”

So cute!! I love the hood! or snood? 🙂

Red is a GREAT color for you!!

What a great outfit – I love that paisley print dress! I have struggled with the-flash-or-no-flash dilemma recently too, which has resulted in me not posting outfits, which is just silly. Oh well, at least being back in the US helps – the darkness in Finland is unbearable. There was a little package waiting for me when I came home, thank you again for the necklace, it is even prettier in real life!

11. Nicole says:

Chic outfit hun! Love the snood. I’m currently on the lookout for one.

12. Mary says:

Beautiful dress on you – and it even looks toasty!

13. Allison says:

Two tips regarding the flash situation:

You could see if your camera allows you to adjust the brightness of the flash, even some very basic point-and-shoot cameras nowadays will have that function! OR you could try picking a spot inside for your pictures. Although indoor light can also be dim depending on your lighting situation, it is consistent and you will not need to choose “flash or no flash” every time you take a picture! I like that because then I just keep my camera at the same settings no matter what. Hope that helps, Eyeliah!

Also, I am not sure if I ever thanked you for that last post with Hello Ladies’ vintage party dress featured in it! I wanted you to know that it sold that very same day! Thanks again.

Allison

14. Michi says:

Such a pretty outfit!! I love the sweater/hood and the brown paisley dress.