Oct 28 2009

Last Minute Halloween Costumes Found In Your Closet

Category: Inspiration,ProjectsEyeliah @ 10:00 am

Halloween is in THREE days…. do you know what your costume is?  Fear not as there are many last minute ideas lurking in your smart and savvy wardrobe.  With the help of polyvore here are my top five choices for the gal in a rut.

What are your last minute costume ideas?

School Girl – This was my last minute costume in 2006 when I had one hour to put a look together.  The school girl can be done in the innocent or the sassy way.  To be innocent think high buttoned top, knee length skirt and nerdy glasses.  For sassy tie the top to reveal your midriff and for the skirt the shorter the better, maybe some red lipstick and pigtails?  For both a pleated or plaid skirt, white knee socks and Mary Jane heels or patent ballet flats are required.

Frazzled Housewife – First start with a nightgown or housecoat and fuzzy slippers.  Do you have a shower cap or some curlers?  This is the topper but if not dump baby powder into your hair.  Apply messy mascara and smeared lipstick and grab a rolling pin or frying pan from the kitchen.  Now walk around with a chip on your shoulder.

1950’s Housewife – The antithesis of the last costume, this housewife has it pulled together.  Grab your favorite full skirt vintage dress and an apron, if you don’t have an apron any shirt or frilly fabric tied at the waist can mimic the effect.   Now high or kitten heels, pearl earrings or necklace and perhaps a tray of cupcakes or cookies, pass them out to friends or put candy on the tray if you are greeting trick or treaters.

Pirate – Hopefully you have an eye patch in your closet, if not it can be easily made or passed on.  A white frilly shirt, red scarf for a waist sash, any dark or leather vest and tall brown boots.  This can be worn with a skirt or pants, perhaps pile on some extra scarves or tie one on your head.  For makeup smudge Kohl around your eyes for that dash of Jack Sparrow sexiness.  Bonus points if you have a sword, gun or Jolly Roger.

Ghost – This is for those with only a few moments to get ready or the truly lazy (well done).  You must be willing to sacrifice a white sheet.  If not maybe find one at a second hand shop.

8 Responses to “Last Minute Halloween Costumes Found In Your Closet”

1. Amanda K says:

Great ideas!! =)

I had a friend who did the ghost, which I thought was pretty witty since I’ve never seen anyone actually do it other than in a cartoon. But when I suggested it to the boy he was convinced that people would misinterpret it as a KKK member. Scary, but not the right vibe to give.

3. Michele says:

Good ones! Esp. like the 1950’s housewife. I think the addition of yellow rubber gloves, like in the picture, would be perfect.

I’ve done a few without buying anything:
    1. hippie/flower child – bell bottoms (add extra points for hip huggers), tie dye top of some kind, sandals; add a homemade head band, fabric/scarf tied as a belt, some love beads, a peace sign or paint a flower/peace sign on your face. Wear hair basically straight. Talk like your stoned, give peace signs, say stuff like “Peace”, “Make Love Not War”, “Far Out”, “Groovy”. . .

2. Playboy Bunny – you’ll need a black bustier-type item and the guts to wear it. I made ears, wrist & a neck collar out of construction paper. Attach ears to one of those plastic head band things. Make the little bunny’s too out of paper and glue to those things with the fold-back-wings that hold papers together; use as cuff-links and to hold collar shut. Make tail out of cotton balls. Wear black stockings (extra points for fishnets) with black heels. Do up make up, hair, & nails.

3. Tourist – plaid shorts and floral top that clash. Carry a camera, or two (extra points for old kinds you can hang around your neck). Shoes with socks (extra points for sandals with socks). Carry tourist brochures and maps in pockets. Wear a hat and sunglasses. Act lost or obnoxious. Or both.

4. Prostitute – Dress in your most provocative, sexy clothes. Short skirt, revealing top (extra points if you have cleavage), fishnets, CFM shoes (Ie killer heels). Lots of makeup, hair and flashy nails. Chew gum. Flirt with the men but remind them it’s all business.

4. Eyeliah says:

Amanda: thank you my dear.
    Dearilou: come to think of it, I haven’t seen the ghost before either…. I think he would look like a ghost, he is worrying too much!
    Michele: Great ideas! I really would like to do the tourist, its a perfect way if you are taking photos at a party! 🙂

5. Diana says:

LOL!! the ghost one is funny.

You forgot the vegas grandma, too!

6. Charlie says:

I think my favourite is the frazzled houswife, just because you could get away with going round in a robe all night. I was once in my pjs for halloween though which was pretty nice.
    My halloween costume for this year is proving more difficult than i intially anticipated. Just got done spray painting some boots, and need to complete some sewing.

7. Hannele says:

oh!! I’m so excited about Halloween! love love your second and third suggestions!
    I’m going to try to pull off a “zombie” look ;P

8. DenzelWs says: