Sep 01 2009

You Know What the Suns All About

Category: My OutfitsEyeliah @ 9:00 am

If you remember my best friend is staying with me until tomorrow yay – I sure notice less people stopping by and commenting since I am not on their (your) blogs, interesting.  I wonder if anyone would even read and comment if I didn’t reciprocate?  Don’t get me wrong, I love to read lots of blogs and comment on them so so much, I will be back to all that by Thursday. 🙂

Do you feel obligated to stop by and comment on all the blogs you read, and doubly if they comment on your blog?

For my new project I like to have my new camera with me to captur e every stylish person I see.  This orange purse has been serving me quite well to carry it in, so that’s why I’m using it again and again.

Do I have everything?

And pose.

Purple Dress, Ebay. Pink Belt, Etsy. Black Slip, Free from Swap. Thrifted Orange Purse. Daisy Clip, since high school. White Vianni Flats.

21 Responses to “You Know What the Suns All About”

1. Diana says:

I was *just* thinking of this question- commenting because I feel obligated to. I decided not to do it. I feel it’s not genuine and I’m thinking of putting up a disclaimer in my comment box stating that I don’t want people to comment for “popularity points”. I like comments as long as they are sincere. Also, if the person just looks at the photos, and not reads the post, sometimes the comment can be inappropriate. Sorry for the rant, but you asked! 😀

I feel that if someone comments on my blog that it is a courtesy to reciprocate. I have stopped commenting on blogs because of NEVER receiving a comment in return though. I feel it is easy to comment on your blogs since you usually pose a question, I don’t know why more people don’t answer them.

3. Aya says:

What a lovely dress! That is such a eye-soothing shade of color… its just all very romantic and lovely!

4. Casey says:

I love your outfit–especially the belt! 🙂

Oddly enough, I was just pondering this topic today. I go back and forth about this all the time. I love spending time commenting on other’s blogs, whether or not they comment on mine, but I’ve also come to realize that I only have so much time in a day to do that. There are some blog I only read and others I occasionally comment on. I really wish I could comment on more, because I really appreciate people stopping by my blog to comment! But I think if I did that, I’d be stuck in front of the computer all day. 😉 lol.

5. samantha says:

pastel’s look great on you! lavender is definitely your shade 🙂

6. WendyB says:

If someone is putting in the effort to read my blog and interact with me, I’ll make the effort for him or her. I think the best part of blogging is the interaction. I like to add something positive to people’s days. If someone NEVER comments on my blog, why should I comment on his/hers when there are so many other people who are a better use of my time? So he or she can be flattered by my unrequited love? Forget it. I cleared a lot of non-commenters off my blog roll too. I sort of grandfathered a few in from the time before I put my foot down, but I’m always considering getting rid of them.

7. alison says:

I usually reciprocate, just kind of as an acknowdegement. Also, I’m way more inclined to comment if there are less than like, 10 comments, because I kind of wonder if people read beyond the first few, and usually what I want to say has already been said. I like to comment if I visit a blog regularly, or if something really catches my eye, or if the blogger asks an intriguing question!

8. Pamela Daley says:

I don’t do a blog so I comment only when I have something to say, especially if it isn’t a repeat
    of what everybody else has said. I may be breaking an unspoken rule here – but i have noticed
    that (especially on fashion sites) every comment must be positive! ‘Love that dress!’ type of
    thing. I hasten to say that there is nothing wrong with ‘loving that dress’ – but 20 versions
    of the same comment? Even when posters ask for feedback: ‘Does this top go with this skirt?’ “Do
    my hips look big in this color?’ type of question, nobody ever says ‘No, top and skirt don’t go’
    or ‘Yes, hips look big’. There has to be a way to comment in other than supurlative terms
    without being mean or hurtful. In fact, of course, there IS a way – but it takes some time and
    thought to comment in a friendly way that isn’t just a mindless compliment. i don’t actually read
    many style blogs except for Eyeliahs because i find them boring. But Eyeliah asks interesting questions
    (!) like this one and that makes it fun to comment. :)(:

9. Charlie says:

Hope you’ve been having fun with your bestie! I know when my friend comes to visit everything goes out the window! Often I only comment if there’s something I really have to say, like answering a question etc. I agree with Pamela, if there are a tons of comments the along the same lines of what I was going to say usually I don’t say anything.
    Usually I’m very busy, but I’ve noticed that when I’ve left comments on people’s post that I’ll get more comments on posts (when I do post which is sporadic, so this could be a coincidence).
    I guess I don’t feel that people should feel obliged to read and comment on my blog because I do theirs, I read people’s blogs because I like them, and I’d like them to do the same.
    Although whenever I get a new blog commenter I will go check out their blog if they have one, and if I like it I’ll usually add it to my reader. Hope that’s not too much of a rant!

Oh and love the slip peeking out of the dress.

10. UnoCosa says:

hiya!!! found you here 🙂 haven’t been very active in flickr these days – but want to drop a note to tell you that i love your purple blue outfit – and lovely smile 🙂 …. come to visit my blog when you have time, would love to see you around there often, xoxo

11. Angel says:

I don’t feel obligated to. I read whatever is on my follow list, and I usually follow my followers too.

I like getting comments but it’s not a necessity. I know not everyone can comment or even wants to…
    I prefer sincere comments that the writer wants to write, not feels forced to.

Angel

12. elle s'ennuie says:

It’s interesting that when I was blogging a few years ago, people tended to reply to comments in their own comments section, whereas now it seems the “correct” protocol is to visit the commenter’s blog and leave a comment in return. I’m not sure how I feel about it – it’s nice to get comments of course, I appreciate them 🙂 but on the other hand, sometimes it feels a bit like a business exchange.
    I read lots of blogs, but don’t comment much… I guess my commenting comes and goes in phases, some days I feel like being “interactive” and others I don’t.

13. Bug says:

Gorgeous dress and absolutely love how you style your hair. Btw, I realized I haven’t added you to my link list yet – so your on there now 🙂

14. Eyeliah says:

Re blog commenting: Thanks so much for all your thoughts, I have been responding to everyone individually via email. 🙂

15. Retro Chick says:

I don’t feel obliged to comment. I think I comment if I feel I have something useful to say.

Having said that I have been so behind on my blog reader lately that I might have to mark half of them as read and start again from scratch!

When people comment on my blog I normally check out their site, but I only comment if I think I have something useful to add!

16. madam0wl says:

I blame it on using Google Reader. I regularly “read” and enjoy a lot of blogs via their RSS, and while something about the post might resonate with me, I don’t tend to “click through” to the original post that often… unless I’m really compelled to comment. Like in this case, I read your post yesterday and thought “hmmm, yes, that is something I’ve thought about before” but then I kept on scrolling down my reader list. So when I saw you mention it again today I was interested enough to see what the other comments were and was like OK I’ll click through, read the comments and then leave a comment myself.

I guess because I’m not making any money off my blog and don’t post there regularly (even though I’d like to) I’ve never been really too concerned in whether I’m on somebody’s blogroll or worry about how many comments my posts get. Sure, I love it when people do comment, because then you at least know someone is reading & caring! Otherwise, if I’m curious I’ll just check my web stats and see that on average there are at least 20 or so people that read each post a day or so after I post it and then it kind of dies off. Plus who knows how many might be skimming/scrolling past it in THEIR Google Reader! 🙂

Every once in a while, just to satisfy and internal sense of give & take, I’ll go through my comments and visit each person’s blog (if they linked one) and usually I’ll leave a comment. Kind of like, “hi, here I am, I am reading even if you don’t see me that often.”

Another thing is, a lot of the blogs I read are people I know from flickr/w_r, and sometimes I’ll have already commented on a photo there, so if they’ve also featured it in a blog post, it seems silly to repeat myself.

17. erindyan says:

Yes, I do. But not so much so people will comment. Mostly I just like you to know I am reading and a lot of times I think “great outfit” or whatever and don’t post. I have no idea why. I also don’t have the TIME to visit everyone I’d like to every day so sometimes (like today) I read a 3 or 4 days worth.

I am PRETTY sure I’ve been reading you since before I had a blog and I can’t remember if I commented before, because I didnt often. I didnt know how much it MEANT before, you know? I just thought all fashion bloggers must KNOW they are awesome. Silly, I know.

You’re awesome, BTW.

18. renr says:

I think that there’s always something to comment about on a blog, and will reciprocate when I get a comment. I sort of have this system whereby I get active at around the time I put up a post on my blog. Likewise, receiving comments is like an alert to me that someone had updated her blog, until of course I get around to adding links in the reader one day… I do have some blogs on my (very outdated) blog reader where I almost never comment though!

19. Wanderlusting says:

you and I have talked about this. I don’t feel obligated and I only leave comments if I have something to say. Even if I like the person and read their blog everyday, I don’t ALWAYS comment because well it sounds forced, like you say.

However, I do notice that when I don’t comment on other people’s blogs, my readership goes down for the day. It also depends on my post. I am not popular enough to have hundreds of comments over one pictures (though there are blos like that on there). And I just don’t have the time…I just hope my followers will get word if I have updated and come on by.

I’m actually pretty bad at reciprocating comments though – I tend to just go through my blogroll everyday. It’s really out of laziness. I oughta update my blogroll this week, now that I think about it!

20. Wanderlusting says:

PS pet peeve are people who leave comments but actually haven’t read my post – happens all the time, inc recently. I mean I know I write a lot but you either read it or you don’t!

21. Elle says:

Well if I didn’t feel obligated to comment before, I sure do now!

No, I don’t usually comment on too many blogs, and I don’t get too many on mine. I don’t blog to get comments, I blog because I love to put my writing/style/thoughts out there. 🙂