Jul 22 2009

Repetition Versus Evolution of Style

Category: My OutfitsEyeliah @ 12:10 pm

Am I becoming a bit repetitive?  Polka dots and floral again!!  It’s been so unseasonably hot – not that I am complaining no way – that I have really been sticking to simplicity most days.  Sometimes I contemplate evolution of style and if it is time for a change, but it really isn’t for me just yet.  The blue hair is a lot of fun and I plan on maintaining it and I still love to dress girly and feminine.  So I am sticking true to myself for now anyways.  Clothing Swaps are a great way to try out new looks and styles so I am really looking forward to the one I am hosting a week today (Vancouverites contact me if you’d like to come).  I have said many times before (though not on here I don’t think) that I would like to eventually, possibly at around age 30 move towards a more bohemian style.  I have already been collecting pieces, some I wear, some I am not sure how to wear but I think they will suit me more as I get older.

Do you ever question your personal style?  Have you recently made a significant style change?  I would love to hear your thoughts.

_____
Vintage Lipstick Red Flats brought back from storage (whoops need to do that post), ebay less than $20. Thrifted Polka Dot Skirt and Banana Republic Floral Blouse. Red Belt, Ebay.

16 Responses to “Repetition Versus Evolution of Style”

1. Kyla says:

This outfit looks great! I really love that skirt!

That belt is pretty spectacular.

3. The Clothes Horse says:

I love your belt. The outfit is great. My style has definitely changed dramatically through the years–but the change itself is usual a gradual process. I mean, can you look back on an outfit from a year ago and say it is the same? Certain elements continue, but are mixed differently and the entire \”look\” has a different personality…at least for me that is how it works. A few years ago I never wore skirts, now I never wear pants. But I wear a lot of the same skirts now as I did last year and yet I\’d say the overall daily outfit is quite distinctively different from last year\’s…if that makes sense.

4. Eli says:

Ive definitely toned down the craziness and vintageness of my outfits. Some days I still get a bit worried about what people will say about my outfits, then I remember they’re strangers, then I remember they have no style. Part of it has been growing up and realizing I cannot spend my money unwisely on things just because I want them. So this has dwindled my everyday choices, I find myself repeating outfits more too. But its part of growing up I guess.

5. cindee says:

super cute outfit! i do question my personal style. i think it has improved since starting the blog and reading other people’s blogs, as they provide a lot of inspiration. i’d say the blog has resulted in changes in my style. i pay far more attention to accessories and made an effort to purchase more of them as a result of blogging. i’ve also become more adventurous with color combinations and pattern mixing. i used to have a tendency to just pull out those standard black pants and since i began blogging, i’ve worn black pants much less! all in all i’d say it’s healthy to question your style and to try new things and that the fashion blogs on the internet are the perfect venue for finding ideas.

6. Wanderlusting says:

That’s funny, I actually did respond to this but everytime I try and leave comments that wordpress weird error page comes up.

My style really has evolved a lot – I’ve stayed the same in sensibilities – I like to look feminine and pretty but I’ve also taken a lot of risks. In fact, I made a list last year of all the things I won’t wear and I am about to revisit that list…I’m sure I have broken most of them!

7. hillary says:

is the question if you are repetitive? You can be but I dont see that as a bad thing. I think of it as you honed a look you like and work with it. Does that make sense?

8. Hannele says:

I believe consistency in what you wear is a good sign that you understand your own sense of style. So to me, repetitive looking outfits with slight variations is good! Means you know who you are and how you want to be perceived.
    When you said “…I still love to dress girly and feminine. So I am sticking true to myself for now anyways”, I thought, why wouldn’t you want to do that for the rest of your life! That you are planning to go bohemian in later years puzzles me a little. What I’m assuming is that you enjoy the bohemian look but it doesn’t suit your lifestyle right now? I have noticed though, that once in a while you pull off bits and pieces of bohemian inspired items and make them your own. Go bohemian now or in a few years only if that is a reflection of who you are then and if it makes you feel great about yourself.
    Personally, I have a much clearer perspective on my own style than I had a year ago. I realized that the styles I was experimenting with did not reflect who I was on the inside. Figuring out exactly what it is I like and how I want to be perceived without the external stimuli of trends was like accepting who I’d been all along and made moving forward easier. I think it’s easy to be impressionable when we’re bombarded with so many different trends and style types. My goal is to stay focused and tuned in to who I truly am.
    Good topic 🙂

9. WendyB says:

Hmmm….well, I refused for many years to wear shirtdresses and now I have four of them!

10. Charlie says:

I don’t really think that I have a certain ‘Style’ I just know what I like and wear what’s me. I’ve been trying to get my wardrobe to be a bit more coherent and have a bit more of a focus, but I find that I like so many different element of different style and looks and am having too much fun experimenting. I guess that’s an aspect of my style – that people don’t really know what to expect from me.
    I think that as long as you are happy with what you are wearing who cares if it’s repetitive (by the way I don’t think you are 🙂 ) because if wearing it makes you happy then you should do what you like. But think that if you get trapped into thinking that you have a certain style then you might feel restricted about what you wear and what you buy because it doesn’t fit into that style or what people perceive as your style? Does that make any sense?
    I’m rambling a bit – I think it reflect that I’m still a bit confused about my own style – still finding it.

11. kimberly says:

as i have gotten older, my style has evolved from things like: “indie-vintage” to “vintage only” to “vintage inspired” and is now some combination of all the looks i love, regardless of their origin. i’d like to think i’ve developed my style so things “go together.”

i’m not too far off from 30, and, for me it’s an issue of looking “clean.” aka: clean lines, well-fitting clothes, things that don’t appear poorly made…i’ve gotten pickier about a garment’s condition and fabric, and have also begun to take more risks without feeling like i must constrain myself lest become boring.

i do think a lot about when i’m in my 50s and up, however, and i have this picture of myself wearing tons of black, turtlenecks, etc., with pops of color.

I ask myself the same questions often; what is my style, should it change, what does having personal style mean… I guess I see myself as a bit of a style chameleon. I go through style phases. Last summer it was all about vintage-y faded pastels, then I started to experiment with dark colours and new shapes, and now, well, I don’t really know where I am going next. Sometimes I wonder if I should have more of a definite style, something that is more “me” (whatever that means), but other times I just think that one should wear things that make one happy on a given day, and not worry too much about the big picture.

All in all, the older I get, the more I try to steer away from cheap materials, poor cuts and mainstream trends. On the same token I do find new trends interesting, and I like to try out new things. The key for me is not to limit myself too much. I guess my advice is: follow your heart! Wear the things that make you feel good. Don’t force anything, do what feels right, and go with your gut instinct. 🙂

13. Kelly says:

Mmm. I can’t identify my dressing style, and I rarely question it as it changes like the wind (ok, the season) according to whatever my whimsy is (last summer I was all about the dress; this summer it’s flowing wide-leg linen pants and chunky thrift-found necklaces).

But I do, and recently did, question my decor style – after seeing a fellow thrifter’s gorgeous digs – and it was hell on earth. Lesson I learned: be true to yourself and stick with your style gut. If there’s any ‘moral’ to my postings that’s what I try to impart, though sadly I forgot that! Don’t know why I never do this with my clothes (only on those frantic panicky mornings when I’m in a bad head space) – let’s just thank the wardrobing Gods I don’t!

Cute belt; love the red … and the topic.

14. MariRose says:

Wow, I had that same belt (in black) back in the day. I loved it and wore it with everything!! Ah…sweet memories.

15. Allison says:

I dont think Ive ever thought about whether I want a change in my style or not, or what I want my style to be like when I get older… I guess I just always knew that my style would evolve, and especially into my older years, but I dont plan ahead! I am sure I will be into something completely different later in life than I think I will be!

Does that help?

16. jessica says:

honestly, i haven’t “questioned” my personal style in a long time. most of the time if i am questioning something i’m wearing, it’s more of a “is this really appropriate for the situation?” kind of question. but! usually i wear it anyway. and let me say that i am so grateful that personal style is something that is constantly evolving. if it wasn’t, i’m sure i would still be dressing like i did when i was 16 – combat boots and plaid mini skirts. oh sweet punker days!

love your skirt!