Jul 10 2009

My Grandmothers Ring Part I

Category: LifeEyeliah @ 9:00 am

This is the ring of my grandmother I never met, my dads mom who died before I was born.  I have been wearing this ring on my ring finger left hand since my wedding ring lost it’s middle diamond and cannot be repaired for less than 500 dollars.  It was left to me when my grandfather died over 10 years ago but I’ve never known what the five different colored gems represent.  I think the five birthstones may represent her four kids and either her of her husbands birthstone as the fifth.  Since my dad could not remember, I am on a mission to go through my relatives until I find out the symbolism.  I will keep you posted on my progress with this mystery.

10 Responses to “My Grandmothers Ring Part I”

1. Kyla says:

What a treasure! My grandmother had a ring exactly like that. It’s a Mother’s Ring. Hers was the 5 birthstones of her children. Keep us posted on who the fifth is your ring!

2. Michele says:

What a lovely ring and a great piece of family history. Looks like someone born in May (“emerald”), April (“diamond”), November (“topaz”), January or July (“garnet” or “ruby”), and maybe September (“sapphire” since it appears to be a dark blue?). At least those are my guesses. Perhaps there was an earlier child who past away? Or it is their marriage month instead of another birth month? Good luck, and yes, let us know what you discover!

3. Charlie says:

What a beautiful ring, i hope you find out the whole story, what a great piece of family history to have, and knowing the meaning behind it will be an added bonus

4. Mermaid says:

This is random because I stumbled upon your blog and saw this.

I have an incredibly similar ring that I wear everyday on my right hand, also left to me by my great grandma who died at age 106. Instead of 5 stones it’s 4 but it looks really similar.

I’ve been told that it also has to do with birth stones, but I can’t quite figure out who’s. There’s a ruby, aquamarine, emerald, and a topaz.

5. rain says:

lovely ring, eyeliah! I Hope you’ll find out the meaning of the stones asap!

x

6. rain says:

lovely ring, eyeliah! I Hope you’ll find out the meaning of the stones asap!

x

7. caboguy says:

birthday months: Grace is April, Glen is May,
    Bob is September, Brian is October,
    Parents are both November so the stones could be for these five months.

8. Mom says:

I would ask Daddys sister Grace, Girls usually know that kind of stuff….. Though I think Daddy may be on to something…
    Good luck Honey, was wonderful to see you!

9. grunge-queen says:

It’s a Family Ring! So amazing, what great history – when you uncover it – and a lovely thing to inherit! I remember looking through the Sears catalogue when little in the 1970s and wanting one so badly … though they’ve obviously been around for longer than that.

10. Katie from ZombieLace says:

It’s a gorgeous ring! That’s so special it belonged to your grandmother, I love having some of my grandmothers’ old jewelry!