May 07 2009

Dress for a 1920s Party

Category: ProjectsEyeliah @ 3:00 pm

I have been seeing a few of these flapper-esque parties on the blogs (like queued paper, style bytes) all the while hoping NO ONE I know would ever invite me to one, only because I don’t own anything 1920s (those drop waist dresses are not meant for curvy girls). Now my luck has run out and three of my lovely girlfriends are having a group birthday party at the end of this month, the theme is France in the 1920s (oh no)! Of course I’m kicking myself for not buying the flapper hat! I am turning to inspiration posts featuring the 1920s (style bytes again and the ongoing project) and you! Help.

Do any of these dresses I found at vintage shops work?

You know my closet better than me…. do I already have a dress/outfit that could work for the era? I really appreciate your thoughts, you all are the best!

Note: Trying on these few dresses was still having this heat rash was a bad idea today, it was a good thing I rescheduled the Clothing Swap for next Wednesday.

18 Responses to “Dress for a 1920s Party”

1. dreamsequins says:

I like the one on the very very right. It has that dropped waist and are those fringes? Wear that one! Also the one in the middle is cool too, if you accessorized it with a long string of pearls or a tasseled necklace!

2. The Clothes Horse says:

I’m so jealous! I love the 1920s and want to have a themed party. I think the far left works the best.

3. najeema says:

I LOVE the black and white fringed one. It would be so much fun to dance in!

4. Kater says:

ahhh, you lucky duck! I like the second the best–I think it’s less costumey, it could be so airy and Gatsby with a big hat and a yellow flower!

The last though, has fringe!!

5. Skooter says:

I like them all! So I can’t help you pick XD. I am now jealous of your local stores!

6. Missa says:

Yes! The third one with the fringe is so perfect!!!

7. rebecca s. says:

i think the last 2 would work best but i say go with the middle one! it is very pretty and classic, you can have fun with accessories. and it looks great on you!

you’ll be a doll! you already have the perfect hair!

8. Shay says:

the second one is lovely! And you totally have the right hair length for finger waves…

9. Christine says:

I love the middle one on you – so flattering.

10. Wanderlusting says:

Love dress one, suits your curves!

Your about as curvy as I am and I think we can totally pull off drop waist. I had a gorgeous drop waist dress from F21 that fell apart but it was very slimming. I think you just have to play around!

11. Mom says:

I agree with Rebecca, on your hair ..slick it down a bit with a head band and the last dress is true flapper style. the middle on is great for your figure..but is # 2 for me

12. rain says:

COOL PARTY!

You should get the third one! And with the gloves of the first pic. Little bag….and a sigaret in a holder… (that was 20s….i believe)

Good luck with your choice!

xoxo

13. Michele says:

I lean towards #3 as being the most true to the ’20’s. #2 would be a more versatile piece to your wardrobe however as it isn’t as 1920’s/costume-like. I’d probably consider my wallet & the CPW (cost per wearing in the future) of the possibilities in my choice too.

14. Eyeliah says:

Thanks for all your thoughts ladies, I appreciate it it so much!

15. Katharine says:

Hey! Do you not read Audi at Fashion for Nerds? (http://geekthreads.blogspot.com/) She’s on your blogroll… Audi puts together a fair number of outfits with a 20s feel, using more modern layering that’s TOTALLY curve-friendly.

(I spent most of high school dressing in actual 20s dresses or the 80s knockoffs of same, and I feel you on the unflatteringness of the drop waist to those with hips – being as wide as my widest point? Oh yes, sign me up!)

Anyway, I like dress number 2 the best. Dress number one has a bit too much going on, and dress number 3 is classic hip-widening material. But dress number 2 is also ripe for some Audi-style layering with an above-the-knee princess-seamed dress or vest, which could keep a 20s feel while still rocking an hourglass.

16. pluriball says:

I love this post! I think the third outfit on the right is gorgeous!
    kiss

17. Links à La Mode is Back — In Life and In Fashion says:

[…] Style Symmetry shows off her joie de vivre as she reinvents flapper chic […]