Mar 29 2009

Making Mistakes with Online Shoppping

Category: I ShopEyeliah @ 11:35 am

With all the fabulous items I find online, every once and a while it hits a very sour note.  I have been looking for a bright red cardigan for months.  And then I saw this one on etsy.

I am a very thorough online shopper and when I have questions, I ask.  The shipping was listed at $12.95 for everywhere else (than the US) so I asked her if that was the price to Canada, and she offered me a much lower shipping rate of $4.50 (much better).  I always recommend to ask this for items from another country if there is no specific price for your country.  I also asked if the color was a true red as it’s hard to tell in the photos.  She insisted it was a true red.  I didn’t ask about the material as she even says in her listing ‘super soft’.  So I bought the item.

Big Mistake.

I was so excited when the item finally arrived in my mailbox, I pull it out of the package.  First thing I notice is it is not a true red at all, not even a pinky red like the picture but more like my orange red cardigan, not the end of the world.  Okay, try it on.  It feels like fiberglass!  Itching into my skin like nothing I have ever felt.  What, this is supposed to be my new super soft cardigan?  I email asking if they take returns as it is itchy and unwearable.  Nope, she doesn’t care at all.  She got my money, won’t take a return, didn’t express any concern.  Thanks alot, I won’t be back ever again!

Do you have a similar story to share?

15 Responses to “Making Mistakes with Online Shoppping”

1. Robyn@Twitch says:

Umm… I’m an ebay vintage seller, and even I make bad purchases. Take the ‘vintage equestrian leather boots’ I won last week… more like plastic, walmart style, non-vintage, ugly boots I got in the mail. Sigh.

2. Eyeliah says:

Oh no Robyn!

3. Pony says:

just an 80’s lace dress i got a while ago on ebay… the girl said it was 50s and that it would be $14 shipping to australia, so i bought it. she emailed me after i paid,and said, “hey, actually, it’ll be $35.00 shipping. please pay me before i send it” (like it was completely normal and okay – no apology for the mistake?)

i convinced her to send it via a cheaper method – she was NOT happy. and then i got the dress, and it was really clearly not from the 50’s.

it’s such a shame about that cardigan – it looks so good in the picture! 🙁

4. Jen says:

shipping is one of the biggest pains for me when it comes to online shopping, especially on ebay because people try to rip you off (in the states) just for shipping to Canada, like it’s across the planet or something!

5. Samantha says:

Aw I hate when that happens! I ordered a vintage 50’s Bubblegum Pink Sandra Dee dress aaaaaaaand I recieved a 70’s apricot colored dress! Not happy! I dyed it though and it looks fabulous in fuschia!

6. cherrylovesit says:

i bought a $120 1930’s dress, i fell in love with it. I posted the white dress on my blog) it was just how i imagined and better when i got it in the mail, but it had 2 rips and tears 🙁 i cant even wear it because one of the tear was on the waist and looked like someone tried to patch it… it didn’t even go through my size 2 mannequin…

7. Eyeliah says:

oh my gosh ladies!! That’s so awful, I feel you.

8. Christina Sanders says:

I hope you left some negative feedback! I hate it when sellers do stuff like that!

Love Christina x

9. Danielle says:

oh no!! that’s why i haven’t bought from etsy and don’t buy much from ebay. im too scared it will turn out like your experience!

10. Michelle says:

I normally LOVE online shopping – I’ve only ever had two really bad experiences. One was on Etsy, and was just…hell. The Etsy team was of no help, but I eventually got my money back through my credit card company. The other one was on eBay…daughter was selling her mother’s shoes through her account. I bought them at the end of DECEMBER, waited two weeks, got them…and they were so tiny. They were described as being 10″ toe to heel and they were more like 7″. I emailed saying I wanted a refund and she said she could do that, but didn’t give me an address to send them to until early February. I got DC and they arrived there on the 17th…waited a week and didn’t get a refund, seller wasn’t responding to my emails. I tried the mother’s eBay account (she had MORE shoes listed!) and she sent me this sob story, told me she was going to sit down and write a check that day. I waited two weeks for the check and it never came. I sent a case in but never got my money back. It makes my blood boil thinking about it – I didn’t even get to keep the sheos! ARGH!

Whew. Sorry. Didn’t mean to write a novel. Suffice to say, I know what you mean!

11. artsladivina says:

well,

all the risks we take.
    I guess it is the gap in eductaion: sellers want $$$ and most of the time have no clue on what they are selling. I hate when the obnvious defects are hidden: riped or fabric content. It was sure soft to her, but your soft level is al least 2 ply cashmere! LOL.
    I now stay only with my old fav. sellers: even if the shipment increased: I wonder why it is $18.95 US to ship a silk top to Canada???
    I know that EBAY laid off a lot of people: their business is down, and to summurise it all, I want to mention that there is for a reason the seller cannot leave a negative feedback for a buyer now. SIC.

12. Sasha says:

that is SHOCKING! i guess i understand now why people tell us our shop “the best” customer service… i just consider it normal, we just do things as i would like them done. i confess to being totally paranoid of buying online, so i guess i try to be more honest than the usual seller in my descrips…. i would SO HATE a nasty surprise that i PAID for!!!! it does weird me out that when i buy, some sellers don’t send me a message to recognize my payment… i want to have communication at every step, myself.
    that girl LIED about the sweater!!! outrageous!!!!

13. Eyeliah says:

Oh goodness! So many opinion on this one. Yes Christina, I was giving her one more day to respond to my last email but that has not come. Feedback will be left tomorrow. This is why I only buy things under $30 (on most occasions) as to not be ripped doff too too much. Don’t worry Michelle, we are all writing novels. Sasha, I love your store, you guys are just lovely. 🙂

14. Katie from ZombieLace says:

Ugh, nothing that terrible has happened to me, but I have had some disasters that were purely my own fault! I’ve never had a problem with a seller, they are always peachy sweet, but my first few online purchases I kind of jumped the gun…. didn’t bother to check measurements or read the fine print or trusted a source that was probably not so trustworthy. One time I ordered a little dress that showed up at my door and was reaaalllyyy little. And another time I bought some supposedly “vintage” hair barrettes and the jewels fell off almost instantly, it looked like they had been hot-glued on! Solidarity, it happens to us all :~p

15. Eyeliah says:

Okay, so now days later she is FINALLY offering to let me return it and I pay to ship it back but she’ll refund all I paid. If it goes through I will be super happy!