Mar 18 2009

The Best Thrifting Tip I Can Give You

Category: How To,I ShopEyeliah @ 11:40 am

The best thrifting tip I can give you is that you’ve got to go OFTEN!

I went on Thursday and spent way WAY too long trying on all the pants and jeans in my size (I really need a new pair!). Since I had no luck there, I made sure to also check all the shoes and skirts and even a trip through the jackets and blouses. Yes, pretty much the whole store.

This cream and gold bubble skirt was a dream, just not for me. And the gorgeous electric blue velvet blazer had a couple of noticeable stains, so no thanks.

Luckily I did not go away empty handed, this little white skirt will be perfect as an under skirt to show off the lace trim and the sparkly top is a fun dressy piece. Someone had dropped off as HUGE amount of costume and 80s jewelry, all I really had to have were these bright blue earrings, and I got this single (searched for the twin) fan earring for 50 cents. Total spent $12.50.

After such a hugely stressful (oh yes it was) shopping excursion I would normally wait a while to go back to the same store, but 5 days later something was pulling me in. After a couple laps I found these two killer belts. Yes, you can have my six dollars.
So the moral of the story, check back often as stock changes daily.

15 Responses to “The Best Thrifting Tip I Can Give You”

1. Wanderlusting says:

Oooh I do like that skirt!! Too bad about the blazer though.

Problem for me is most thrift shops are closed by the time I get off work, and I need time to thrift!

PS excited for Thursday – anything else i should bring, besides clothes? Food, booze, etc?

2. Hannele says:

eyeliah! that blue velvet blazer looked perfect on you! drool. Too bad for the stains 🙁
    I’ve never seen any belt like that second one, good find.

Ooo, that belt with the clock faces is quite intriguing.

4. Shay says:

the clock belt is rad!!

5. Skooter says:

I’m in love with the fan earring, it’s gorgeous! Too bad there’s no twin.

6. Katie from ZombieLace says:

That watch-belt is breathtaking in it’s awesomeness!!!

7. Aya says:

GREAT tip, and so so true! ^_^

8. rae says:

Le GASP! I may have to craft a belt like that for myself. Too cool!

9. Pixie Dust says:

Gee, that watch belt is absolutely stunning.
    And so was the blazer, tis a pity it was stained 🙁
    You’re absolutely right though, one has to thrift quite often :))

10. Nicole O says:

Yay! I recognize that patchy little changeroom!! hehe. And I totally knwo those fan earrings… there used to be two! I wonder where the other one went? (probably stolen by a mouse!)

I agree, must go often and must know the store. Every store has different timing for when and how often things get put out. And weekdays are pretty much always better than weekends anywhere you go!

11. Posh Swaps says:

Some great finds and a great tip on finding great stuff- thanks

12. Mad Fashionista says:

Dahling –

As someone who sells plus-sized vintage clothing, I have learned that almost ANYTHING can be cleaned. As long as my assistant isn’t stupid enough to put a 1950s sequined dress in the washing machine. Don’t let stains put you off…either you or your dry cleaner can get them out. Color fade, on the other hand, is a different matter. For instance, it’s often on the shoulders of older clothes, from being on hangers and from dust.

13. Maiah says:

loving the bright blue earrings – gorgeous!

14. Laura says:

That clock belt is so amazing. I have so much old watches that either don’t work or that I never use (I NEVER wear a watch). Maybe this is time for me to do a DIY?