Mar 11 2009

The Cursed Jazz Shoes

Category: ProjectsEyeliah @ 9:00 am

The jazz shoes stole my heart the moment I spotted them at a thrift store a couple weeks ago. Luckily they fit, so I skipped all the way home, delighted to have 10 less dollars in my wallet. Of course I immediately started wearing them everyday.

I noticed on the third wear that the soles needed to be reglued, no problem, got that fixed. After two more days of wear, they came unglued again! Oh my already? And on the walk after work that day 20 minutes from home, a whole heel fell off! So many problems for such a sweet little pair of shoes. I wonder the life they led before they reached the thrift store, a sad tragic story that will haunt me for as long as keep them? At this point I’m undecided if I should get the sole fixed or toss ’em.

9 Responses to “The Cursed Jazz Shoes”

1. Katie from ZombieLace says:

Get them fixed!! Seriously, they are adorable and once you pay the extra money to have them fixed, if they fall apart again you can hold the repair-person responsible and he/she should fix’em again… I recently got two pairs of shoes fixed and I am SO GLAD that I did, it’s like reliving the love affair we had when they were new :~)

2. marta says:

If you like them so much, get it fix.

If they are real, true jazz shoes then chances are those shoes did live a hard, show biz sort of life. They aren’t just “pre-worn”, they aren’t just “used”. They’ve been danced in. There is some mileage on those puppies.
    They aren’t exactly meant to be worn out in the real world anyway. They live a life on stage, not on concrete, grass, carpet, or soil. They are not meant to deal with dirt, pebbles, or (heaven forbid) puddles.
    I don’t know. If you love them, maybe fix them one more time, but You got your $10 worth out of them, I feel.

4. hillary says:

it couldnt hurt to ask a cobbler how much to fix them.
    But I agree jazz shoes were never meant to be worn out on the streets. But the cobbler might be able to put soles on them that is meant to.

5. Lauren says:

I think if it’s going to cost more total to repair/keep repairing than you paid for them it’s not worth it. Invest in a pair of higher-quality shoes … they’ll probably last longer. :]

6. Shay says:

oh no! They are so cute. I recommend going to the shoe repair shop at 520 Robson. I’ve been getting stuff fixed there for years (vintage shoes too). He really knows his stuff.

7. Eyeliah says:

So many thoughts, thanks everyone. I never thought about how jazz shoes would not be suited to the outdoors!! I think I will try and salvage (one more time) via Shays shoe repair suggestion, and Katie’s ‘hold them responsible’. lol! Lauren, yes I do need to invest in some good quality shoes before next winter!

8. thefashionmaven says:

aw, let us know if the shoes make it! they are great and i’m glad you got to enjoy them for at least a little while 🙂

9. Mom says:

Keep them pumpkin, next time you are home,(Or send them to me) I have a great cobbler here…He will no doubt get them street worthy.