This post was triggered by a comment: “Oh my gosh, this looks like *so* much fun. I wonder if I could throw something like this…”. Why yes, Ambika, of course you can. Below are the simple steps I put together to host my first Clothing Swap Party, it was so easy!
Prior to Party
- Invite stylish girlfriends two weeks prior to party, to give time to get items together. I used this simple line to explain and sent out the invite on Facebook “Here’s the gist, we bring clothes, shoes and accessories that are clean and in good condition but that we no longer want. Please bring a minimum of 5 items and be on time at 6pm.”
- Search ‘Clothing Swap Party’ on Google, take notes and marvel at all the resources at your fingertips.
- Get together the items you want to donate, launder where necessary.
- Make a playlist that lasts duration of the party (mine shown below). I Wanna Be a Supermodel and Fashion optional.
- As The Host ‘the rules’ are up to you and the most important step for The Swap. Figure out ahead of time what will work best for you and your girlfriends.
- Create a pile of the items in the middle of the room.
- Everyone makes one pick, try it on make sure you love it. Once everyone has made a choice then everyone gets another pick and so on until the pile is gone. This worked really well, everyone had plenty of time for each decision and no quick grabbing or craziness ensued.
- If two or more people want the same item, they have to each model the item and other guests vote on who should keep it. I thought this was a super fun rule, but never got to do it.
- Leftover items to be either taken back by owners or donated to charity.
Alternative Ways to Swap
Count each guests items and hand them the equivalent in tickets. This is a good idea if some people brought many more items to The Swap then others. Now auction off the items, I recommend each person holds up and describes the items they brought while guests put up their tickets if they want it. If no one is interested the Auctioneer chooses the person she thinks it would suit best and they have to go try it and model it and hopefully take it home.
Actual swapping, guests trade items between themselves. It’s more interactive and good for a larger crowd. Maybe a gorgeous leather purse can be yours if you give her a cute embellished shirt as well as that mint condition feather headband.
Day Before or Day Of
- Pick up some little snacks, veggies and dip, sweet mini donuts and refreshments.
- Tidy house, I included my bedroom for access to full length closet mirrors.
- If you have a significant other like me, kick him out of the house!!
I hope that this helped, have a great Swap!
Feel free to leave extra suggestions or any questions in the comments.